splitting headache

• 5 Replies

Offline maha

splitting headache
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
Hi
Yesterday evening Hassan had complained of a head-ache. He was holding his head with both his hand and his eyes showed he was in pain. I gave him paracetamol and in half hours time he was running around again. At bedtime when he was just relaxing into sleep he started to toss around, again holding his head. He started to sweat profusely and I removed his sweater.(yesterday was the coldest day of winter so far and had been raining). The head ache got worse and he started screaming. He was holding his head as if something would burst inside.I gave another dose of paracetamol and rushed him to the ER. By the time we reached the hospital his head-ache had subsided. A cbc was done, his hb was 8.77. He is due for tx next week (thursday). The last 4 months have been horrible for Hassan health wise with attacks of recurrent viral gastroenteritis( 3 times in the last 30 days itself) because of which his pre tx hb last month was 7.2. The doc just said neurogically he was ok and we could take him home and this headache could be due to his ongoing viral attacks. Yesterday was really frightening as my husband also was out of town. What should I be looking into.I am completely lost.

maha

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Re: splitting headache
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
Maha,

I am really sorry to hear about what Hassan and you went through,i am sorry i don't know what could be the reason.But i hope he feels better soon.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »
Maha,

The most important thing to look for with headaches related to viral illnesses is a stiff neck. A headache that doesn't leave along with a stiff neck can signal meningitis and should always be checked out by a doctor immediately. If he complains of a stiff neck or you see him rubbing his neck, check it out.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline maha

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »
Hi Andy
The doctor had asked about his neck yesterday, there was no such issue. Also he doesn't have any fever and after last night he hasn't complained of a head ache again. Today he was his usual self but right now he is complaining of  pain in his legs.

Zaini
Thank you for your wishes.

maha

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
Dear Maha,

I guess the headaches and the leg pains are due to low levels of Hb, as you know the bone marrow expands when the HB drops and therefore it put pressure on the bones of the skull and other bones of the body.

In order to confirm this assumption, monitor these headaches after transfusion when his HB is high, if they diasappear, it means they are related to aneimia and i think you should then transfuse him at a higher level than he is used to, do not let his HB drop too much.

Please keep updating
manal

Offline maha

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
Hi Manal
His pre tx hb is usually between 9.5-10, its been low for the last three months bcoz he has been continuously sick. I spoke to my cousin who is a doc and he said if he was responding to paracetamol it was a good sign. The cold weather and his cold was probably giving him the head ache. He suggested that he wears a cap at bed time. I tried that last night but everytime I checked on him the cap was never on his head. Actually yesterday soon after I had posted the thread he complained of an head ache again, but this time it was mild and settled down in minutes.

maha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk