Young noob with worries and concerns!

• 5 Replies
Young noob with worries and concerns!
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:35:21 AM »
Hello my name is mark I'm 23 years old . I went for a physical with a new doctor.
I've lived with thelasemia minor since I was a baby.
The doctor said everything looked alright on my blood test except my bilirubin levels.
My bilirubin levels are 4.5 Ive read this is high, he also said their high which worries me.
For the most part I feel good I exercise everyday at the gym and eat healthy. Being he was a new
Doctor of mine he didn't have my records being he can't look back and see howy history
Of bilirubin is. So he ran a bunch of tests for liver disease and different forms of hepatitis
And can't sleep outta being scared by him. Is high bilirubin levels like these normal for thelisemia minor??
I'd appreciate your help or advice. Until those new results
Come in I'm honestly really scared. :(

Thank you,

Mark z.
Mark Zuniga

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Young noob with worries and concerns!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:09:48 AM »
Hi Mark,

Your bilirubin level is higher than normal for someone without thal minor, but not unusual for thal minor. Anything lower than 6 is considered to be mildly elevated, and it is not an indication of liver disease. With thal minor, some of the red blood cells are not normally shaped and are destroyed by the body at a higher rate. This is called hemolysis and is common in thal minor. If you are ever told that your spleen is enlarged, this is also the result of hemolysis. Even though a bilirubin level of 2 or higher can cause jaundice, it is not a serious problem. However, long term this can lead to gallstones.

To lessen the hemolysis, keep your good diet, avoid processed foods and make sure your diet is high in antioxidants. Take folic acid daily. 2-5 mg per day. This helps to build healthier red blood cells that last longer. I also suggest vitamin E, B Complex and magnesium, which all have roles in red cell production and health. Vitamin C also plays a big role in circulatory health, but supplementing may not be needed if you get enough vitamin C containing foods daily. If you bruise easily, take vitamin C supplements. Not only does your body need nutrients to produce red blood cells, but hemolysis depletes nutrients, often beyond what is possible to replace solely through diet.

There is no reason to assume any serious illness. Hepatitis would give you a much higher bilirubin level. Your level is consistent with the hemolysis of thal minor. Start folic acid today. Your body needs a constant supply because your production of red cells is overactive, as your bone marrow tries to compensate for the low hemoglobin level that is the result of not enough good red cells being produced. This added activity is fairly futile, as more bad red cells are produced. Take a look at threads in the Diet, Nutrition and Supplements board. You will find many posts about what people do to improve their health when dealing with thal minor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:03:42 AM »
Hello, thanks Andy for your answers you have no idea how much i appeciate this. I'm really glad to have stumbled upon this forum. As for my spleen, you nailed it on the head. I forgot to mention that i have also lived with an enlarged spleen as well. Also the supplements you mentioned(vitamin E, B Complex and magnesium, and Folic Acid) will those help with my jaundice? and also what else can i possible do to avoid gallstones as much as possible??  Also as far as folic acid, would it better to get a perscription or can i just go get it at my local GNC?
Would the local store brand be just as good? Well i apprecaite the response Andy and once again thank you! :hugfriend

God Bless,

Mark! :biggrin
Mark Zuniga

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:09:04 AM »
In my experience, prescription vitamins have often been lesser quality and more expensive than what can be bought in most health food stores or vitamin departments in grocery stores. The hope is that the supplements can slow down the constant hemolysis that removes the malformed red blood cells through the spleen. I have also brought up the topic of avoiding gallstones at our Facebook thalpal group, so check for replies there, also.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28:26 AM »
Thanks Andy !  :biggrin :hugfriend
Mark Zuniga

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
If your name is exactly your e-mailadres too you might consider to change it? We can see it all. I thought I should say that.

Andy has provided you the right information. Good luck with remembering taking those tablets  :wink & welcome on board!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk