molecular phenotyping

• 4 Replies

Offline zahra

molecular phenotyping
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:58:20 AM »
Hi

Is molecular phenotyping like extended phenotyping or genotyping or something entirely different?

Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: molecular phenotyping
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
Molecular phenotyping is fairly new and the objective is to predict the outcome of a disease or disorder by analyzing relevant genetic factors. I believe that we are well on the road to the point where a DNA analysis of a thal will be able to predict the eventual outcome or phenotype for that patient, right down to transfusion and chelation requirements.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline zahra

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
Thank you Andy for explaining this. What can I expect to find out from the result of this test? Will it be able to help me decide about whether to go for a transplant or not?
Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:17:06 AM »
Zahra,

It might be used to predict your son's long term condition, but in the context of BMT, it may have some value in assessing if BMT will succeed. I imagine it might have some use in matching donor and recipient.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline zahra

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:59:58 AM »
Hi Andy,
Thank you for explaining this to me. I am going to ask the doctor about it again on my next visit. i looked for this on the internet and wasnt able to find anything that made sense to me. I dont know what we'd do without you.
Zahra

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk