In need of answers! Muscle spasms ect.

• 1 Replies
In need of answers! Muscle spasms ect.
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:01:10 AM »
Background info on me: I have thal beta minor; I just had a baby 3 months ago and I am still breastfeeding.
I take a multi, b complex, 2000iu vit d a day,omega fish oils, and probiotics
I saw my hemo in May and had my ferritin levels checked and they were low so he told me to take 2-3 iron pills 325mg/day and to go back in 3 months. I did this for a good month then I statred not feeling good after taking them as I fear iron overload.  I did not get my exact results tho my hemoglobin was 9.5 and my b12 and d levels were good.   So now staring 2 weeks ago I keep getting extreme aching legs to the point I can't sleep. I have insomnia the past week and constant muscle spasms. I thought I could be Mg deficient since I do not take it so I started taking a powdered supplement , the lowest dose. It did not do much and I had diarrhea. So I took my iron again starting yesterday and I felt pretty good yesterday. No spasm or aches and I slept great. Today however I noticed my calves aching again and my throat is sore and some leg muscle spasms, on top of some heart palpitations. I do not particularly feel exhausted tho. A few nights ago I drank some coconut water because I keep jolting awake and could not sleep and it also helped to get me to sleep and decreased my aching legs. I ususally drink 68-85 fl oz of water per day.  I did go to my Dr. this week and there are holistic and sent me for blood testing to check MTFHR, thyroid, Mg plasma, vit D .
My concern is that I am nursing and I want to make sure my baby gets all the nutrients she needs.
Also is taking the iron causing a possible offset of my other minerals causing palps?
Do thals normally get sore throats when run down?
Also it's been very hot here.. in the 90's and very humid!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: In need of answers! Muscle spasms ect.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
Have you tried a calcium/magnesium tablet? Heart palps in thals are often related to an imbalance of calcium and magnesium. If you can tolerate the tablets, something in the range of 1000 mg calcium and 500 mg of magnesium would be a normal dose. With the heat, an electrolyte replacement drink may also help lessen the cramps. There is a simple recipe for a natural drink at http://cheekybumsblog.com/2012/04/03/living-naturally-homemade-electrolyte-drink-move-over-pedialyte/

The iron dose is quite high. I would not recommend it for long.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk