Aah Moment with Gluten Sensitive Diagnosis

• 5 Replies
Aah Moment with Gluten Sensitive Diagnosis
« on: October 01, 2012, 03:50:48 AM »
Just wanted to share this, my daughter has alpha thal minor and for years her hematologist and paediatrician always believed that her symptoms, debilitating nausea and brain fog, headaches, cold extremities and  extreme fatigue where more than just the thal minor.

In June of this year after years of dealing with numerous health issues it was determined that she had gluten sensitivity.  She has been on a gluten free diet since and the turn around in her health has been nothing short of amazing.

While she is still follwoing a regime of supplements to assist with the thal diagnosis and eating healthy and hydrating she has been able to get her life back.

Even if you have been tested for  negative celiac disease you may still be gluten sensitive as people with gluten sensitivity do not have the genetic marker for celiac.

Do some research and if the symptoms sound like you try a gluten free diet, if gluten is part of your problem you will notice a difference very quickly.    It makes me sad to realize that all the things we typically tell our children to eat when they have queasy stomaches or don't feel well was actually poisoning my daughter, and that so many people suffer for years with this.  I hope that those who read this will consider that some of their symptoms may be actually be caused by what they are ingesting.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: Aah Moment with Gluten Sensitive Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
I would assume gluten as in diabetic? I'm thal major and a diabetic as well. I was diagnosed with it in January 2009. Well problems occurs, but I stopped eating crap or a lot of bad food after I became diabetic and actually leading a healthy life.

But yes, we cannot eat sweets. Anyway, I am more of a spicy food lover so that didn't affected me by a larger extend.

However, I did loved to eat cake, ice creams and chocolates a lot.

It's possible that when my excess iron gets removed (as in my case, am thal major so I received transfusions, thereby leading to increase in iron cores) my diabetes goes away or decreases by a larger extend. I live every day in the same hope; let's see. This world runs on hope. :)

Anyway, my condolence is with as to what happened with your daughter and I hope for her healthy life. How old is she?

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
Pratik,

Recent research does show that the pancreas does improve once the iron is removed. At the least, it means that diabetes becomes easier to control once your iron load is under control.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
By the way, this is the third report I have read his month about gluten being responsible for many problems. More investigation of this common problem is necessary.

(gluten - a protein substance that remains when starch is removed from cereal grains; gives cohesiveness to dough).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
Hi Andy,

I agree that more research needs to be done.  Unfortunately because there is no specific test for gluten sensitivity but a matter of ruling out conditions.  When I think of countless waste of health care resources as we had  useless test after test and sat in ER only to be told that a change in diet would help boggles my mind.

In the US they believe that as much as 10% of the population has GS and is not aware of the problem.

Thank you so much for administering a forum that allows me the opportunity to share my daughters issues with thal minor and to learn about this condition.

Offline Prets

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Hi,

I  thought I had gluten sensitivity/intolerance, so I tried an elimination diet for 3 years.

But my culprit was digestion. I started taking enzymes with all heavy meals, and I am better and back to a regular diet, except fats.

Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk