Talking to OBGYN about Thal Minor.

• 2 Replies
Talking to OBGYN about Thal Minor.
« on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
Hello all,

First, I would like to express how grateful I am to have found this site. I'm hoping to find answers to the millions of questions I have.

I'm 23 years old and I've known since a very young age that I have a blood disorder. Unfortunately, I didn't find out until recently that the blood disorder is Thalassemia Minor. So needless to say I know virtually nothing about it. I've done what feels like a million hours of research and still feel in the dark about a lot of things. My husband and I are discussing the possibility of starting a family and I know having Thal Minor can have some negative affects on the pregnancy. I've read all of the threads I can find about Thal Minor and pregnancies on this website but since I don't know all that much about my specific situation or any of the terminology I don't understand most of the posts.

From reading the posts I've noticed that not many doctors out there know all that much or are all that helpful when it comes to Thal Minor and pregnancies. So for now I'd like some advice on what to discuss with my OBGYN. I plan to make an appointment and discuss with her that I have Thal Minor and am thinking about conceiving and I would like to be prepared with questions and information for her. And if you have any tips for me to start preparing for pregnancy with Thal Minor I'd love to hear them!

Also, my husband is unsure if he is a carrier. He's never been told, that he knows of, that he is. We plan to get him tested just to be certain.

Thanks!

Offline Narendra

Re: Talking to OBGYN about Thal Minor.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Welcome to thalpal,

The best step has been taken of your being aware of what needs to be done and being proactive. Definitely get your husband tested to see if he is a thal carrier. Do you know if you are an Alpha Thal carrier or a Beta Thal Carrier? You husband's reports should be matched accordingly.

The most important thing is that your health is good during pregnancy. Knowing the hemoglobin levels prior and during pregnancy is a good start. Also, get the Ferritin levels checked to make sure they are normal. Eat healthy and stay positive.

Check out the post for Thal Minor and Pregnancy that many members have talked about at
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3041.0.html

Good luck and do ask us if you have any more questions.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Talking to OBGYN about Thal Minor.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
Your Hb level should of course be checked regularly throughout the pregnancy. Occasionally, a thal minor will need a transfusion during pregnancy if the Hb drops below 8. However, taking high dose folic acid can help prevent the big Hb drop. The other issue often seen in minors is miscarriage caused by the clotting tendency that many thal carriers have. Taking natural vitamin E can help to prevent this. Don't expect much knowledge of thal from your doctor. Try to follow a nutritious diet and get some mild exercise when possible. Your doctor can monitor you, but don't expect much knowledge of thal.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk