New today with questions

• 2 Replies
New today with questions
« on: October 17, 2006, 01:42:39 AM »
I am seeing a hematologist oncologist for anemia problems.  I have other health problems that led my GP to do an MRI and my unusual red blood cells showed up.  I have been poked and prodded and had many tests done.  At my appointment today the nurse practioner said that one of the blood tests showed that I might possibly have thalessemia.  I have heard this term used before when I had problems during my pregnancies (many years ago)..  I have always been "anemic" but got very anemic this past spring.  My spleen has been enlarged for some time - off and on.  Blood tests done come back okay sometimes, but elevated or low at others.  I still get my menses but not very heavy and I'm not bleeding from anywhere else - believe me I've had enough tests to confirm that!  I am exhausted, forgetful, dizzy, tingly in hands and feet (this might be because of my back).

So is it possible for me to be diagnosed with Thalessemia in my forties?  Why didn't I see it before now?  What blood tests show that thalessemia is a definitive diagnosis? 

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
Re: New today with questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 05:29:12 AM »
Hi kjgardeski ,

Welcome to the group!

As you never had regular Blood Transfusions since your childhood then it is confirmed that you don't have Thalassemia Major, which is the most unpleasant "flavor" of the disease.

Most probably you have Thal. Intermedia or Minor that is now taking a toll on your body in your forties when you body is now comparativly weaker than your youth.

You should have special test such as Hemoglobin electrophoresis done to verify this. I recommend you contact a haematologist that knows about thal and ask him to prescribe the proper test as no one can tell you "Exactly" by just judging from the symptoms that you exhibit.

Take care, Peace!
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: New today with questions
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 05:00:44 AM »
Hi kjgardeski  and welcome,

It is not unusual for thalassemia minor to go undiagnosed, because in many areas thalassemia is rarely seen so doctors aren't always familiar with it. If you were an intermedia, your hemoglobin levels would be at an alarmingly low level. You mentioned that your blood tests often come back normal and this wouldn't happen in intermedia. All the symptoms you mentioned are observed in minor, and as Sajid mentioned, as you grow older, become more noticeable. I would suggest reading the posts in the minor board and also read the posts on vitamin and mineral supplementation at

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=118.0

The various lab tests done for thal are described at

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/conditions/thalassemia-3.html
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk