pregnancy prep help needed

• 3 Replies
pregnancy prep help needed
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:36:54 AM »
hi everyone,

i'm a thal minor, just found out i'm pregnant and went out today to get my vitamins

i got:
1. folic Acid 600 mcg
2. vitamin E 400 I.U.
3. Super B-complex (key B vitamins and calcium)
4. vitamin D 1000IU
5. Magnesium 400mg
6.Vitamin C 1000mg

i didn't get any calcium because i wanted to have fresh whole milk. i read that the ratio for ca and mg is 2:1 , so that comes to 3 cups of milk to one tablet of magnesium. my question, do i have the 3 cups of milk in one go with the magnesium tablet? and is the vitamins and supplements list good enough?

thank you for your help in advance!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: pregnancy prep help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:44:33 AM »
You can get calcium from many other foods, also. Don't worry about getting it all at one meal. I would suggest doubling the folic acid. Doses up to 5 mg daily are useful in thal minor pregnancies.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:52:47 AM »
thank you for your reply andy but i read that calcium isn't absorbed without mg , so do they have to be taken in the same meal?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:23:28 AM »
Calcium is absorbed much better when taken with vitamin D. The presence of lactose and phosphorus in milk also contributes to calcium absorption. Some scientists believe that calcium works more efficiently when taken at the same time as magnesium, but this does not seem to be much if any factor. It would also be simple enough to take the magnesium with a meal that includes dairy. Keep in mind that magnesium has value in thal minors beyond its role with calcium.

I also want to make a note about folic acid. It is universally recommended that all women of childbearing age take folic acid, as it is the most important thing that can be done to help prevent birth defects. All women, not just thals, and not just during pregnancy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk