Iron load in liver: MRI results

• 5 Replies

Offline Sara76

Iron load in liver: MRI results
« on: October 04, 2013, 02:56:19 AM »
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if someone could help me interpret my liver MRI results. My hematologist said that I do have some iron in my liver. The results were T2*4.3
What does this mean? Does anyone have a chart that describes iron quantities of the liver. I don't know if this is a little bit of iron or a moderate amount.

Also, my dr. has suggested mini phlebotomizes. About 50cc of blood will be taken out every 2 weeks. I have PKD and do not receive regular transfusions. My hb is usually around 6. I have very high retic counts , so my doc expects that I can make up for the lost blood rapidly.  I am already fatigued these days. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this? :rolleyes
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:00:16 PM by Suelou »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Iron load in live: MRI results
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
Liver T2* of 4.3 lies in the mild iron overload range (2.7-6.3 ms).

Phlebotomy is normally only used in patients with an Hb in the normal range. I can't see how it would be tolerable by a patient with an Hb of 6. Alternatives of tea, IP6 and wheatgrass as natural chelators could be tried first to see if your iron level drops. What is your ferritin level?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sara76

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »
Hi Andy,
     Thank you so much for the information.  I was on desferal for 1 year when I was 22. My Ferritin went down a lot in a short amount of time. Currently, my ferritin is the highest it has ever been- 1,012.   
I know people have ferritins much higher than that.
I'll try the ip6, tea and wheatgrass.  Hopefully it will help my energy levels as well.
 :thankyou2

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »
Your ferritin level is low enough that natural chelators may be enough. Drink tea with any meal that contains iron, as it inhibits iron absorption, in addition to being a mild chelator. IP6 works well to reduce ferritin. My observation is that patients using IP6 daily have ferritin levels of 200-500 lower than similar patients. Within 2-4 weeks of starting IP6, you will see a change in skin tone, as iron is removed.
Andy

Offline Sara76

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Andy,
Is this the ip6 I should order?  The  brand was mentioned in another post. I just want to make sure that I am taking the right stuff, and it's of good quality.
 :thankyou2

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
It's a good quality supplement. Puritan tends to have good prices.
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk