Aging and Thal Intermedia

• 1 Replies

Offline ngbuckle

Aging and Thal Intermedia
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:12 AM »
I'm convinced that as we age certain manifestations become more pronounced and aggressive.  So my question is : what has your experience been like. Please share. This blood disorder is not well studied or documented in developing countries and I want to know cause the doctors don't seem to kno nor are they concerned.

I found that :
1. As I age, the frequency of which I become more fatigued after very little exertion increases. I hv to lie down to recover. Once I do anything outside my normal basic routine sure enough rest calls. I'm only 44.
2. Stressful conditions such as added pressure at work or added driving causes my blood pressure to drop precipitously. Then there is dizziness and shortness of breath crisis. I recently had a burning stinging sensation in my left breast above my heart area . Not sure what that was. Doing an ecg next.
3. Weakness feeling in the muscles of my lower leg/calves when I hv extended bouts if fatigue in the evenings. . Does anybody else experience that?

Offline Sara76

Re: Aging and Thal Intermedia
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:21:20 AM »
Hi,
I want to preface my response by letting you know that I do NOT have thal. I have another kind of rare hemolytic anemia called pk deficiency. That said, my normal hb level is about 6. I have many of the same symptoms of those with thal intermedia - iron overload, bone thinning, misshapen skull due to over active bone marrow. Until the age of 3 i was transfusion dependent until I had a splenectomy. Since then I only have transfusions when I am very sick and my hb has fallen below 5 ish. ( it's been over 10 years since that has happened.
Anyway, I am also 44, am married, have a child, and I have lived a very normal life.. Active as far as everyday activities, full time job etc.  No real strenuous sports.. Never kept up to well in that area.  Since about 42 Years old i started to notice a pretty drastic decline in overall energy. Lots of naps! After exercise I also often need a nap or at least need to rest. It's very frustrating as most of my friends and colleagues have no idea I have a blood disorder. I feel very awkward discussing it as its not like I just got diagnosed or anything.  It has drastically affected my social life.. I'm just too tired during the afternoon / evening to do anything to get together with people. I certainly was not like this in my 20's. I believe there must be something about getting older. Perhaps our body just doesn't tolerate such a low hb as when we were younger.  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk