Vitamin D Question

• 4 Replies
Vitamin D Question
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
Hi there. I had Vitamin D deficiency in 2012 and my levels were at 5.5ng I felt truly awful, anyway I took 5,000 IU daily and after 3 weeks felt significantly better for a good 3-4 months. Then I started to feel bad again (whilst still supplementing), I did not have my levels checked but assumed that my body had enough vitamin D so I stopped. I felt good again, the summer came, I got out in the sun and probably felt the best I have felt in a decade.

In September 2013 I got my vitamin D levels checked to see where I was ready for the winter - my levels came in at 25ng which seemed pretty high to me and according to NHS guidelines here in the UK is sufficient. I decide not to supplement.

January 2014, I start to feel awful - tired, got every bug going, large glands, complete loss of appetite, I have lost over 4kg and really didn't need to. Then the familiar symptoms I have with the vitamin D deficiency start to kick in - feeling extremely cold, exhausted, bad tempered, achy, anxious, often suicidal. I wake so stiff every day it is hard to move. I have developed a stutter this  may be unrelated. I have decided to take vitamin D again.

The reason that I am posting is because I am trying to understand what really is a good stable level of Vitamin D to be at. I thought 25ng was good, that it would see me through the winter, but although I haven't had my levels tested again, I truly suspect this is the reason for my deterioration. I don't want to take too much though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this please?

Thanks so much in advance

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Vitamin D Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:41 AM »
I would suspect your D level has dropped during the winter. It also seems apparent that you suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), something with which I have much experience. Before I adjusted my D level with supplements, my level was very low and I felt like I was holding my breath the entire winter. I had the symptoms you mention and the depression was a constant. My experience has been that I have to raise the amount of D I take during the winter months, and again with the miserable winter we've had in the US this year, I found I had to raise it again as I couldn't escape the sense of dread that was my full time companion. I usually take 5000 IU daily (doctor's orders) even during the summer when I make a great effort to get sunshine, but this winter I have had to bump it as high as 10,000 IU. I was slow to change the dose, but now wish I had done so earlier.
I don't think you should stop supplementing, as the level drops quickly, and during the winter you should try raising your dose. You might also look for a special light bulb that mimics sunlight and keep it in a lamp where you will get a few hours exposure daily.

It has been a determined effort that has helped me. I'm of Italian descent and living in New York does not get me the sunshine I need, so I have no choice but to take D to stay sane.
It has also had a positive effect on my immune system and I get far fewer colds. It makes sense. If our ancestors are from sothern climates, there is no possible way for us to get enough sunshine year round when we live in northern climates.

(And for those wondering about what seems to be a low D level at 25 ng, that translates to about 50 nmol/L, so that's a good level).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
Thanks Andy. Your advice means a lot to me and it was thanks to your posts that I originally had myself tested for Vitamin D deficiency and found out that was the cause of some problems I have had for a very long time. I was born in Italy and what you say makes sense. Thanks so much I do not know where I would be without your help as my Drs  haven't helped me at all.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
D levels drops quickly if you don't continue to supplement them! Beware. I came to my senses too when I experienced it myself.

In June, I pushed my levels as high as 62 and went easy with 5/10K IU/day and even then in October my reports read 38 only even while I was supplementing!

So keep on taking those.

I too experienced that when my D levels were high, I always seem to stay fresh, energetic and most of all in mood. I feel like taking on all the work with happiness with adequate levels and the day feels cheerful.

Best,

-P.
Every child is special.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:11:01 PM »
Thank you P. I have started taking a high dose again and hope to feel the effects soon. All the best

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk