Thalassemia and Asthma

• 4 Replies

Offline zahra

Thalassemia and Asthma
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
Hi,
 Wondering if anyone else has experience here. I already have 2 kids with asthma but they started early and were never so severe.
My Thalassemia major son had his first bout at 5 and a half years but the second attack at 6 years has scared me b/c his oxygen went low.
Does thal make asthma more severe?
Zahra

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia and Asthma
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 12:29:50 AM »
Yes, lung function can be affected by thalassemia. Iron is one suspected cause but not the only cause.

Use of natural chelators as a supplement to chelation may have some value as they penetrate all tissue in the body. These include IP6, green tea extract and wheatgrass. Wheatgrass may also have some value for asthma in general. In my own cae, both my asthma and allergies have been less severe since I began seriously addressing my low vitamin D level.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline zahra

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:08:23 AM »
Hi,
 My son has been taking wheatgrass super shots 2.5 ml and IP 6 400mg from Source Naturals for about 4 years now. Is it time for a dose change? He is now 6 years old and 19.5 kg.
He is also taking Osteocare liquid 2.5 ml which has Vit D. He has been tested twice and vit D was ok. Doctor said to continue whatever he is already taking.
It  started with a cold that wouldn't end (allergies?) but is gone since they started him on Singulair. Doctor explained high eosonophils indicate Singulair can help.
I hope and pray it isn't a chronic issue and won't happen again.
Zahra

Offline aus

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:11:35 AM »
My son has asthma and nut allergy, and is low on vitamin D. It didn't bother him. Just continue to take his vitamin D pills, always be prepared with  ventolin (especially when playing sports, and on cold nights) and he is still living normally.

Offline zahra

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Thank you aus for your reply. I'm glad your child is doing well inspite of asthma and allergies. Mine is also doing well since on Singulair,  thank God.
Zahra

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk