Some advice for a friend with Thal major and diabetes

• 3 Replies

Offline Katerina_Mall

Some advice for a friend with Thal major and diabetes
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:10:26 AM »
Hi everyone i would like some advice..i have a Thal friend she is a thal major  with diabetes.. she has 10,000 feritin ,she has an enlarged spleen and doctors want her to have a splenectomy ..she is very scared and feels that they dont understand her, she is on desferal only ,since she can not do combination , is there anyway she can avoid splenectomy? and one more question what kind of antioxidents can she take vitamins ect... ive told her about this site and she asked me to please write a post since she does not Know any english... thank you for your time  ( she is on humalog and lantose ) diabetes type 1

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Some advice for a friend with Thal major and diabetes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Kateria,

Her ferritin is dangerously high. Splenectomy might lower her iron just by removing the spleen and all the iron in her spleen, but that is not the best solution for the iron load. If her spleen has caused too much blood consumption for a long period, then it may need to be removed. I think she should be taking desferal 24/7 through either IV or a picc line. This is very urgent  She needs aggressive chelation.

She can take any antioxidant supplements like natural vitamin E, IP6, wheatgrass, green tea extract, L-carnitine and others.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Katerina_Mall

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »
Andy the wierd thing is that she goes for blood every 10 days with aimotokriti 27 -28  every 10 days she only gets 1 unit  250gr of blood
her spleen is 21cm doctors say... she is realy scared about the surgery due to her diabetes... soo idk... i just wish i could do something...doctors arent realy helping her here she just puts desferal 12hrs a day with an accufuser pumpb i also told her to put desferal through veins but she told me she cant because her veins are not good..she hardly can find veins for a blood transfussion... i even suggested her to get a port and she not happy with that either :/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:04:43 PM by Katerina_Mall »

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
with following regular chelation plan anyone can get ride of iron level... as mine was 13000,, and after 10 months of being regular with chelation therapy my Fe level came to 252 ... and i m diabetic too ... i used to take 70 units of insulin in morning and 60 in evening , when my ferritin was above 10,000 ,, but as my ferritin drops insulin need drops to 40 units morning and 30 evening ... so controling iron is the key of everything in thalassemia...
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk