Progesterone use in BTM- urgent response please

• 4 Replies

Offline Shilk

Progesterone use in BTM- urgent response please
« on: October 31, 2015, 04:46:31 PM »
Hi friends,

Did anybody with beta Thalassemia minor use progesterone during first trimester of pregnancy? My doc prescribed 300 mg progesterone to be taken orally and vaginaly.

The package insert of progesterone in warnings state-

Progesterone is contraindicated in case of Active arterial or venous thromboembolism or thrombophlebitis.

Look out for signs of arterial or venous thromboembolism, venous thromboembolism or pulmonary embolism, thrombophlebitis or retinal thrombosis.

I am really shocked and scared to read this. Already beta Thalassemia trait causes thick blood which can be a reason for miscarriage and if progesterone is taken by BTM pregnant women, will it cause thrombophlebitis?

Please advise whether BTM woman can take progesterone and risks of miscarriage and blood clots increase?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Progesterone use in BTM- urgent response please
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
If progesterone levels are low, chances of miscarriage increase. Progesterone is often prescribed while trying to get pregnant, to help prepare the uterus for pregnancy and is also used during the first trimester to help prevent miscarriage. There are some natural alternatives like wild yam cream, which are discussed in the link below. I feel that natural vitamin E and folate are also essential for thal minors during pregnancy.

http://natural-fertility-info.com/progesterone-fertility-guide
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Shilk

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 11:30:14 AM »
Hi Andy, thanks for your quick response. I am worried about blood clotting issues caused by progesterone. Does these warnings really matter for BTM?

Another question is whether I can take vitamin D 5000 iu in FIRST TRIMESTER?

My OB also doesn't allow me to take natural vitamin E 400 iu in first trimester. Please assure me that I can continue to take my Vitamin D 5000 iu and Vitamin E 400 iu.
Thanks

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »
Vitamin E is important for keeping your blood thin and should be taken by pregnant thals. The experience related to me from thal minors who have had successful pregnancies, is that vitamin E and high doses of folate are most important for having a successful pregnancy. As long as you are not on any blood thinning meds, E is safe to take. And yes, you can take vitamin D, as well. As far as the progesterone, it does prepare the uterine wall for the pregnancy. This does make miscarriage less likely, as it makes it easier for the embryo to implant. You may want to consider a natural cream like wild yam cream if you are uncertain about taking the synthetic type.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Shilk

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
Hi Andy, Thank you so much for your replies. I will continue to take vitamin E without telling my OB!
Regarding vitamin D, I have a concern, the product am using says vitamin D is derived from Lanolin, it is Irradiated and produced vitamin D3. Is this vitamin D3 derived from Lanolin through irradiation safe to take? Please shed some light on types of vitamin D. Thanks and regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk