Thank minor and favism

• 3 Replies
Thank minor and favism
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:48:09 PM »
Hi! I'm a thal minor who's recently been diagnosed with diabetes. I'm already at a healthy weight, and I'm trying to control my glucose levels through diet, exercise, and supplements. I've been taking a supplement that includes bitter melon fruit, and I've just read that it can cause favism. I know next to nothing about favism; I've only just read about it here! Does anyone know if bitter melon is indeed dangerous for thalassemia minor?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thank minor and favism
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
First question is what was used to diagnose diabetes? The HbA1C test has no usefulness for thal minors, so it should not be used to diagnose diabetes.

Favism mostly affects alpha thals, but occasionally does affect beta thal minors, as well. If you do experience favism, you will know by your body's reaction. You will experience a sudden and unexplained tiredness and fatigue because your Hb level will suddenly drop.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 03:15:37 AM »
Thank you, Andy. I was diagnosed with a glucose screen. Afterwards, I bought a glucometer and began monitoring my glucose levels, went on a low carb diet, and began researching supplements. The reason I went to the doctor in the first place was because I was feeling so awfully bad; extremely fatigued, etc. I was actually expecting to be diagnosed with low blood sugar based on the way I was feeling. After two months, my glucose levels are under control, but the exhaustion has only intensified, so I don't believe it's related to high or low blood sugar. It does come and go, though. I saw a hematologist last week for a full workup, and will be meeting with him next week to go over the results. What specifically should I be looking for? This forum is so helpful; thank you!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
A complete blood count and a full iron panel would both be helpful.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk