Any Information

• 4 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Any Information
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:17:44 PM »
Hi

Dear friend Sharmin has told me about Dr. Krishnamurti in the States who uses mixed chimerism in bone marrow transplant without using chemo. He does not kill the old BM. He did a BMT for an 8 years old girl who has sickle cell anemia. It is not clear (to me ) if this is a trail or approven protocol in transplant. I e-mailed him but actually there was no response.

Anybody knows anything about this mixed chimerism???????????

Manal

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Re: Any Information
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 06:52:25 PM »
I believe they are doing trials on humans right now, Manal.  I have been trying to find articles on it for you, but I have yet to find an article that I don't have to pay $30 for.   :sadno

I just don't understand why we have to PAY for information.  I find that ridiculous.  We pay for internet service for a reason. Why should we have to pay extra to read an article.   :rolleyes

Offline Manal

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:17:17 AM »
Thanks a lot Danielle for your efforts :hugfriend :hugfriend

I too agree with you

Manal

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:52:03 AM »
Hi Manal,

I posted about this awhile ago at

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=471.0

Contact information for Dr Krishnamurti can be found at   http://www.chp.edu/bio2/krishnamurti_l.php

Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
3705 Fifth Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

412-692-5055
412-692-7693 Fax
lakshmanan.krishnamurti@chp.edu

Dial 1 before the number.

I don't think there's much other information about this online yet, so if you are able to learn more about it, please let us know.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »
Thanks Andy

i emailed the doctor and he answered me. He is very gentle.

I asked him in the email about hte reduced intensity transplant and gave him a brief information about mu son.
When he replied, he was very much interested about his weight and height and whether they go with his age or not. He adviced me to take my time and examin my options and he said that i should give hydroxyurea a try. Generally he thinks transplantation using any regimen is a treatment with significant risks and should not be undertaken without a lot of thought.
Concerning the reduced intensity transplant, his words were as follow:

''....Conventional bone marrow transplant is associated with a 80% risk of infertility, particularly in girls, particularly when transplant is done after or close to puberty.
Reduced intensity transplants use less chemotherapy and have the potential for causing less infertility. These are still considered experimental for Thalassemia though they have been done for many other conditions. Remember, BMT is associated with infertility, but normal sexual development is possible.
Please stay in touch. We will keep you posted about progress in reduced intensity transplants. Talk to your hematologist about Hydroxyurea. Best Regards,
sincerely,
Lakshmanan Krishnamurti, M. D ''

Hope this could be of any help

Manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk