Thal delta carrier

• 1 Replies
Thal delta carrier
« on: April 10, 2020, 05:40:33 AM »
Hello all! New to this forum :)
I found out recently that I am a thalassemia delta carrier (corfu deletion), I am pregnant and my husband is a thalassemia beta carrier. I have cousins that are beta carriers but no immediate family (ie. Parents, siblings, grandparents are all negative). My concern is that the report mentions this may mask that I am also a beta carrier. I have gone through past blood test results and found one from a while ago with HbF levels of 1.1. Other than low neutrophil counts due to a familial neutropenia blood test results are otherwise unremarkable.
My question is if I am a delta carrier does this always go hand in hand with been a beta carrier too or is it possible to be delta only and have no issues with beta? Furthermore if I am beta delta and my husband is beta is it still a 25% chance of beta major?
Thankyou :)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal delta carrier
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 06:10:35 PM »
I would advise a DNA analysis if it is not certain whether or not you also carry beta thal. The presence of delta can mask beta minor by lowering the HbA2, which is usually the definitive method of diagnosing beta carriers. If you do carry beta, as you said, there would be a 25% chance of having a child with two beta mutations.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk