testing for diabetes/hypoglycemia in thal minors

• 3 Replies
testing for diabetes/hypoglycemia in thal minors
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I just got my A1C result back and it was 4.9 (ref range 4.8-6.3) but I found from searching on this forum that A1C is messed up for thals (artificially high?).  What test can I ask for to see if I am hypoglycemic or diabetic and how do I explain this to the healthcare provider.  They don't seem to know about this.

The only other piece of data I have is my fasting glucose was 88.  I wonder if I am hypoglycemic because I am having trouble waking in the night being very hungry despite adequate calorie intake.

Thanks,
Amy

Re: testing for diabetes/hypoglycemia in thal minors
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 02:21:16 PM »
Is it artificially high or low?  I’ve heard the opposite of what your are suggesting too.  Research is hard to find. What is your soursce?  Thanks

Offline Slade

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 03:44:10 PM »
I'd try the fructosamine test instead. It is a blood test that measures average blood glucose levels over the two or three weeks prior to when the test is performed. It doesn't involve hemoglobin so the results should not be messed up by the hemoglobinopathy. This test is rarely used by labs though. That's probably because they use the A1C test.
Hb Lepore variant

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 07:57:09 PM »
I agree that the fructosamine test is more accurate for thals. HbA1c can include hemoglobin variants in the count and throw the test off.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk