Exzjade

• 10 Replies

Offline aren

Exzjade
« on: June 16, 2007, 08:32:29 AM »
Hello everybody,
If aren's ferritin goes up can we give him Exjade right away ?
He is only 18 months old and we have not done any chelation till date.
Please suggest.
Take care, Peace.

Re: Exzjade
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
HI,
I live in Australia and the doctors here have said EXJADE is not to be given to anyone under the age of 6 years of age.You should talk to your doctor also.For me i did not start desferal infusion till i was 3 years of age.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:15:08 AM »
HI Aren

Where in kolkata do you live and who is your doctor?
I dont think Exjade will be available in India.
I think, one does not start Deferal until the Serrum Ferratin level crosses a certain figure..I think your child is still too young to start any kind of chealation, ofcourse, again your doctor will be the best judge and also depending on how frequently he is taking transfusion.
My daughter started Desferal at age 6-7.. today she is 30... and now for the past 1.5 years she is totally on Exjade.

But those days Desferal was  not available as now..... so till age 14-15, she could not take the proper dosage of Deferal.. and later she took Desferal 4-5 nights a week.Inspite of that she has done well for herself so far..

So I guess , one can wait before starting Desferal, and moreover how does one prick a 18 month old baby every night, unless it is absolutly needed!!

If there is anything more you want to know, please be free to call me at : 98221 32780.
I too am a bengali.. maybe I can answer any other questions that you might have on Thal...

Shikha Mitra

Offline Miaki

• Ash and Me Dubai
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
Hello Aren,

It is recommended that children start their chelation method from the age of 2 onwards, however best advise will be given by your doctor.

EXJADE Safety and Tolerability Profile
EXJADE is generally well tolerated in adults, adolescents, and children as young as 2 years. For further information go to
http://www.exjade.com/hcp/about/safety-tolerability/home.jsp?disclaimer=Y

You can also look on the Ferriprox website for more info on L1 and Novartis Desferal their information.

Miaki

Offline Narendra

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:55:49 PM »
Hello everybody,
If aren's ferritin goes up can we give him Exjade right away ?
He is only 18 months old and we have not done any chelation till date.
Please suggest.
Take care, Peace.

Hello,

What is Aren's Ferritin level. Doctor's in India recommend starting Iron Chelation when Serum Ferritin level reaches 1000. That happens around 20 blood transfusions.

Exjade is NOT yet available in India. Kelfer(also known as L1) can be started for Aren. It is oral medicine and easier for a young child. The best treatment would be Combination of Desferal and Kelfer, but it is a tough decision for the parents for this young a child. Aren's doctor (I guess it would be a Thal Doctor) will be able to provide more details on the chelation options for Aren and when the start it

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:22:03 PM »
hello dear will u pls tel me what is the KELFER(L1) as i heared first time,
Doctors advise my son Iron Chelation at the age of 2 years with desferal(through pump), my wife took special training to inject that butterfly needle and we purchased our pump which we inject at night. but now my son is near about 4 years.
his iron level is still very high so doctor advise Ferriprox for him, ICI is importing this medicine, doctor is gradually reduicing the dosage of desperal(pump) and increasing the dosage of Ferriprox. and its cost is very high. will u pls tell me what is KELFER(L1) so i will discuss with my doctor about it.
thanks
Hello,

What is Aren's Ferritin level. Doctor's in India recommend starting Iron Chelation when Serum Ferritin level reaches 1000. That happens around 20 blood transfusions.

Exjade is NOT yet available in India. Kelfer(also known as L1) can be started for Aren. It is oral medicine and easier for a young child. The best treatment would be Combination of Desferal and Kelfer, but it is a tough decision for the parents for this young a child. Aren's doctor (I guess it would be a Thal Doctor) will be able to provide more details on the chelation options for Aren and when the start it

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 04:29:18 PM »
Kelfer is the same drug as ferriprox or L1. Kelfer is manufactured in India and is much cheaper than ferrprox.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
Hello Mr. Mumtaz,

Another substitute of Kelfer is Ferinill which is even cheaper and is produced locally in Islamabad by Global Pharmaceutical.
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:35:48 AM »
A-o-A mr sajid
will u pls tell me that this ferinill is same like ferriprox
quote author=§ãJ¡Ð ساجد link=topic=1044.msg8623#msg8623 date=1185204566]
Hello Mr. Mumtaz,

Another substitute of Kelfer is Ferinill which is even cheaper and is produced locally in Islamabad by Global Pharmaceutical.
[/quote]

Offline §ãJ¡Ð ساجد

• Beta Thal Major
  • اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
    • Islamic Resources
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 08:38:17 AM »
A-o-A Mr. Mumtaz,

Yes, the chemical composition of all three drugs is same i.e Deferiprone

The three brands produced by three different compaines are:

• Ferriprox by Apotex Pharma
  • Kelfer by Cipla
  • FerriNill by Global Pharma

Edit: Oops it is Cipla. My mistake
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:56:28 AM by §ãJ¡Ð ساجد »
اَسّلامُ علیکم Peace be Upon you
§ãJ¡Ð ®âµƒ
Web Site

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
Kelfer is manufactured only by the Indian company, Cipla and sold at cost in India.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk