Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia

• 249 Replies
Re: Vitamin and Mineral Supplementation in Thalassemia
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm thal minor.  It's true to me that I have low immune system.  I can have cold after almost every menstrual cycle.  I'm not taking multivitamin anymore after I read the site because the dose is not enough, and I'm waiting for the Swiss total One Antioxidant to be arrived. 

I'm now taking B Complex 75 with 400mcg folic acid, 900mg calcium, 800mg Vit D, 400mg Magnesium, 400mg Vit E.  I started to take these few days ago.  Last night, I took a walk and the weather changed from very warm to a sudden fall to cold weather.  My air tube is congested this morning.  I was taking QVAR, preventative medicine for asthma.  I also read their side effect which can lower my blood cells and cause general pain and I could feel it.  I stopped taking it 2 days ago. 

I can tell the vitamins that I'm taking has improved my depression.  I'm seeing my therapist for PTSD symptoms and triggered me anxiety when I have stress which I now know that it can lower my blood cells too.  I was a low birthweight preemie and I checked out website stating that will cause depression.  I surely get more confused.  With all the things that I have, should I increase the vitamins that I am taking for anxiety?  I heard that KAVA extract can help anxiety.  Does anybody try before?  Please let me know. 

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
Hi Dore,

Although you are not thalassemic,but you are being transfused chronically,so when you use chelators,sometimes it also chelates other elements from your system which might be useful for your body,and as being exposed to foriegn blood allthe time,body is under tremendous pressure,so it's good to help your body with these multi vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body.

Vitamin E is a very useful anti oxidant,it helps eliminate free radicals in your body,helps your immune system.

From http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/983211401.html

Some food sources of vitamin E
Vegetable oils, nuts, and green leafy vegetables are good dietary sources of vitamin E. Food manufacturers fortify many foods with vitamins and minerals. It is important to read the nutrition facts panel of the food label to determine whether a food provides vitamin E.

Wheat germ oil, 1 Tb: 26.2 IU ~ 90% of Daily Value (DV)
Almonds, dry roasted, 1 oz: 7.5 IU ~ 25% DV
Safflower oil, 1 Tb: 4.7 IU ~ 15% DV
Corn oil, 1 Tb: 2.9 IU ~ 10% DV
Turnip greens, frozen, boiled, 1/2 c: 2.4 IU ~ 8% DV
Mango, raw, 1 fruit: 2.3 IU ~ 8% DV
Peanuts, dry roasted, 1 oz: 2.1 IU ~ 8% DV
Broccoli,frozen, chopped, boiled, 1/2 c: 1.5 IU ~ 6% DV
Kiwi, 1 medium fruit: 0.85 IU ~ 2% DV
Spinach, frozen, boiled, 1/2 c: 0.85 IU ~ 2% DV

^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Dori

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »
Hi Dore,

Although you are not thalassemic,but you are being transfused chronically,so when you use chelators,sometimes it also chelates other elements from your system which might be useful for your body,and as being exposed to foriegn blood allthe time,body is under tremendous pressure,so it's good to help your body with these multi vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body.

Vitamin E is a very useful anti oxidant,it helps eliminate free radicals in your body,helps your immune system.

From http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/983211401.html

Thank you for your help and information. I really never heard of this before. I'm glad to see that I do eat the right things:)

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
Zain sis,
you are missing something , that is Olives and Olive oil , super source of Vitamin-E :thumbsup and anti-oxidant properties ... is not its great ... its Super aik dum Super ....
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
Umair, i just want to make sure that you know that Olive oil should not be heated. It is just put on Salad or on food after it is cooked :wink

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »
Hi Manal ,
but here doctors told us ( my family members ) to use olive oil for cooking , instead of other oils ..
in case of taking it with salad , i think it will harm liver ... please correct me if i m wrong...

Thanx
Take care
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »
Olive oil can be used raw or for cooking. I use it both ways. Why would it harm your liver?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »
i think it will harm liver
Hi Andy ,
i hought that bcoze, doctors told to avoid food wich has high fats  like cheeze  and pizza like food in Hepatitus and bcoze it disturb's the live .. soo i thought taking Oil directly will also harm liver .. thats why i asked about the taking Olive oil directly ...

Take care
Umair

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »
Umair,

I depends on the type of fat that you consume.  Certain fats are healthy for you and are in fact essential.  These are fats that are rich in Omega 3.   Small quantities of Olive oil can be healthy for you as are flax seed oil and fish oil. 

Saturated fats are harmful to the liver and the cardiovascular system - such as butter, cream and animal fats.  (Those that are solid at room temperature). 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 02:38:52 AM »
When olive oil is overheated the unsaturated fats change and become harmful that is why it is advisible that after food is cooked it is added at the end or just before you finish cooking so as to avoid over heating. This means too that you never fry anything in olive oil and also in maize oil.

You can fry in sun flower oil

manal

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »
Hi Manal & Sharmin ,
Finaly decided to have Olive oil in Salad a few hours (3-4 ) after lunch .. it will be good na ???
i think it will be best way to intake olive oil ....

Umair

===========
Umair

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
Hello all,

I recently read on the forum that you can mix the IP6 powder from the capsule into juice and drink it. What a wonderful idea, Little Miss A. as picky eater as we all know, would not dare to touch the capsule but now we can give her IP6.

I just bought CF IP-6 & Inositol by Enzymatic Therapy, (Canada) and the formula is below:

Each Capsule contains

Calcium Magnesium Phytate   506 mg
(containing: 400mg Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6), which contains 110mg Inositol from rice)

The bottle says two capsules daily, please provide your input to the dosage for Little Miss A.

Thanks....
Regards.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »
Canadian Family,

I am using the same formula.  I aim to give him 2 capsules 2 or 3 times a day.  It is difficult because it needs to be taken on an empty stomach.  We have started giving him exjade at 4am so that when he wakes up he can have IP6 and then his calcium supplements 1 hour after that.  I give him his second dose of IP6 when he gets home after school and his third dose (if possible) before he falls asleep at night.  My son weighs 27 - 28kg.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »
Umair, i just want to make sure that you know that Olive oil should not be heated. It is just put on Salad or on food after it is cooked      manal
Hi Sis , in my last visit i was talkng to my Haemo about Anti-oxidants , she told me that i can take carrot mixed with olive oil as an anti-oxidant and it will be good , when my bro asked to her to cook my meals in olive oil , she told us the same you are saying in your post that i quoted above , she said dont heat olive oil, heating could change its effectiveness.... she said it better to give olive oil by mixing that in Salad or when you are going to give that in meals then dont heat that , you may put olive oil in Meal after completing the cooking procedure ( in last after turning off the burner/oven)......

It is difficult because it needs to be taken on an empty stomach.  We have started giving him exjade at 4am so that when he wakes up he can have IP6 and then his calcium supplements 1 hour after that
Awe sis , same is happening to me here , i used to take medicine in nights then before break fast then empty stomach  after main meal i have to take vitamins and then always have to wait for few hour to take ferriprox  OMG , spending all the day and nights in planings when and which medicine i have to take when i have to take main meal and when to take tea time like short meals .. OMG pretty much confusing ..... I HOPE AND PRAY THAT LITTLE-A's ROUTINE WILL BCOME NORMAL VERY SOON AND HE WILL BE BLESSED WITH THE BEST OF THE HEALTH (AMEEN)

BEST REGARDS 4 BOTH OF YOU ( MANAL n SHARMIN ) AND YOUR FAMILIES  , AHAN ZAINI SIS HOW CAN I FORGET YOU WHILE I M PRAYING , AND BHATTI BHAI I REMEMBER YOU & MUJTABA AS WELL IN MY PRAYERS .....
TAKE CAREz
Umair

(Note: i typed with capslock , but i dont mean that i want to shout , i just wanted to prominent the lines in which i  praye's for you ) so please dont mind ..

===========
Umair

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
Thank you for your prayers Umair.  All the better in capitals:)  It means a lot to us that you are praying for us.  I pray for you as well bro. 

I have not heard that olive oil is not to be heated.  It is common to cook in olive oil here  ???  We cook all of our meals in olive oil, I hope that is okay  :dunno

Sharmin
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk