Did U Know That

• 101 Replies

Offline poo gill

Re: Did U Know That
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 10:57:06 AM »
Did you know that:

Synthetic Vitamin E is more expensive than Natural Vitamin E. The price difference is not much but it is there.

I am not sure how is this possible but it is?

"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
And did you know that:

Natural Vitamin E is utilized by your body twice as efficiently as the synthetic vitamin E,it gets absorb in your body more easily.

Puja,

Its a bit strange,because here synthetic Vitamin E supplement is way cheaper then the natural one  :dunno.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:16 PM »
 Did you kow That :
[bgcolor=#ffffff]Seven percent of a humans body weight is made up of blood. [/bgcolor]

Take Carez
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Dori

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 04:27:02 PM »
And,

I know that I got more blood than normal (can that be the same for thals?) so here it is more than 7% !!!
What about water?

Offline poo gill

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
Zaini

This price difference I noticed in India. I was also surprised and I asked thechemist, he didnot know the reason.

"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline poo gill

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 05:22:39 AM »

1. Law of Self-Recovery:
In general, the body is capable of healing itself at a certain rate. If a person has a wound or burn, the body will heal itself and recover within a few days to a week. In other words, even if you do not apply antibiotic on the wound or burn, the body will repair or heal itself. At the present moment, there is no medicine available for the treatment of viral infection. But even if a person has cough or cold due to viral infection, the body will recover generally in one or two weeks without medication.

Offline Dori

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
I heard this, but there was no source who said it was true though.

Zinc and Manganese can be interfered with by high iron making many iron overload patients deficient Means that we can have shortage of zinc and manganese?

Offline Narendra

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
Most of the members know this but for some curious guests and some newcomers, this might be useful.....

Did You Know That:- 

Vitamin C increases iron excretion by increasing the availability of chelatable iron,

But care should be taken as, if Vitamin C is given in excessive doses it may increase the toxicity of iron. It is recommended not to give more than 2-3 mg/kg/day as supplements, taken at the time of the desferrioxamine (desferal) infusion so that liberated iron in the body is rapidly chelated.

From:- http://www.thalassaemia.org.cy/pdf/Guidelines_2nd_revised_edition_EN.pdf

Offline Emby

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 04:29:11 PM »
did you know that one of the major causes of death in thalasseamics is transfusion of wrong blood type.
my son was given wrong blood by mistake but shukr Allah, thank God, he is well. 
please always check and double check your blood before transfusion.
God protect us all. 

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
That is great advice. That almost happened to Lisa once but she caught it before the nurse started the transfusion. Always check the bag and make sure it's the right type and also is labeled for you. I was almost a victim of hospital error (actually I was a victim continuously while I was there) when I was supposed to be taken down for an x-ray and when the orderly brought me up to a desk and said I have the guy here for his biopsy, I freaked. I made so much noise that the worker was reassigned to a job where she wouldn't have to deal with people. I suppose if I had let them go on I would have had a good case for a lawsuit, but it is a lesson to all. Make sure that they have the patient and procedure matched.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Emby

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
ha ha l-o-really-l andy!!......its real scary at the time i know but that sounds like a real comical situation !!

the blood actually was running for a minute or two.  my son was eating at the time and he started coughing and spluttering.....then his face went blank and he shut his eyes.  my hubby realised his blood type was wrong on the unit...i clamped him off.  my son would not have been able to alert the nurse.... but, thank God, he was fine.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »
Emby,

Oh my gosh!  How scary, thank god your little guy is okay.  Thank you for sharing this very important information with us.  When they give blood to my son two nurses have to be present - they have to confirm his name, date of birth, blood type - and then check the blood against his crossmatch band.  If he is not wearing a band the blood is not given.  Each nurse then has to sign that all information was checked before blood is started.  We also check ourselves and have lil A check his own blood to make sure that he is being given O- blood.  One can never be too careful because mistakes still happen - as was the case with your son - and with Andy almost getting a biopsy!

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
Hi Emby ,
Thank GOD to hear that everything was finely handled and your son is okiey...  thanx for sharing this important information  :) .....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Emby

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2009, 05:34:04 PM »
hiya umair and sharmin,

we have the same procedure since then.
may God protect everyone.

take care. 

Offline Emby

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »
did u know that thalassemia cannot be 'contracted'. it is not infectious or contagious.

we know a family with thal major child.....has some close family members who do not want anything to do with them.  they think its bad karma (spelling wrong??) & that they would ''catch'' it if they came in contact.....!!!!???? ???????!!!!........their child is gorrrrrrgeous !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk