Thalassemia and Endocrine function

• 1 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Thalassemia and Endocrine function
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
As parents of growing children many of us want to ensure that our children will grow, mature and develop normally.  We are aware that chelation and lowering iron levels is a key to making sure that the endocrine glands will produce adequate hormones to allow normal growth.  I also hope to see an endocrinologist for my son to ensure that we do not run into any issues. 

I believe that IP6 and the other natural supplements that we are giving our children should be very helpful as they prevent iron damage, bind free iron and increase oxygen delivery.  I wonder if L-carnitine would also be helpful in this regard because it helps the vascular system.  I would like to hear if anyone is aware of what natural vitamins, supplements and remedies may be helpful to help with growth, development and to preserve fertility as they grow. 

Thank you in advance for your input,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Re: Thalassemia and Endocrine function
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »
I think that all the supplements that are adviced here in our ste work directly or indirectly to regulate the and help the body tofunction in a normal way.

I also would like to add that visiting an endocrinologist at least twice a year is a must ( especially for children and teens) in order to ensure proper growth RATE and not just growth. Having constant monitering will enable us to work under the umbrella of ''preventing'' rather than ''curing''

One of the important points is to mointer any defiency in minerals and vitamins especially the zinc, phosphrous and calcium as they all have main role in growth and their defiency will do no good. I personally check the zinc every three month

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk