Is it safe for thals to travel by air

• 3 Replies

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
Is it safe for thals to travel by air
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:03:18 AM »
Hi,

It may sound like a stupid question but just wanted to check if it is ok for thals to travel by air. My daughter is 14 month old and is thal major and we are planning to make a trip from Bangalore to Mumbai (1hr 20 mins flight). Do thals experience shortness in breath when they are at 30-35k ft. above sea level because of low HB level? what are the precaution should one be taking while travelling by air. My daughter was last transfused on 26th september and the next transfusion is due after 2 weeks.

Regards,
Himanshu
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline maha

Re: Is it safe for thals to travel by air
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 05:20:30 AM »
Hi
Not to worry. My son is 6 years old. I am an Indian residing in Saudi. My son has been flying from the age of 2 months. When we start our trip he is freshly transfused but when we return he is already due for transfusion. I have not transfused him in India to date. Never had any trouble during any of the 20+ flights he has been on.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 05:35:25 AM »
I did also traveled back in 2008 from Gujarat to Mumbai via air, and I had no complications. There's no difference between normal or thal in flight, don't worry.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Laura

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
Hello!!!

I've travelled by air lots of times for a couple of hours and there is no problem.

It is true that you feel different on the out flight when than on the return flight. You feel different in the same way that you do when you are not flying. I mean, when your Hb is lower, you feel like you have more difficulty in breathing but that has nothing to do with flights.

In fact, in one of the flights, something happened with pressure on the plane and some of the guests needed some oxygen. I was there, my Hb was around 9 and I didn't need it.

So, don't worry. I'm sure your child is not going to notice any difference.

Kisses,

Laura.
The most important thing in life is not what you achieve but the fact of fighting for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk