One month after starting hydrea...

• 107 Replies

Offline poo gill

Re: One month after starting hydrea...
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »
Thanks Andy  prat's iron checked last time about 6 months back was around 200. His next check up is due this month. This IP6 can he continue with his regular vitamins with B complex and mulitivitamins. or will it be an over dose of vitamins.

Also during infections for thal kids do we increase the dosage of vitamins or maintain the same..

Luckily I had adhered to your advice and started fresh wheat grass juice, so the infection was not very sever. I have not checked the hb so don't know what was the affect on the hb.

Thanks

Puja

"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2009, 07:21:24 AM »
Puja,

IP6 can be taken all the time along with other supplements. It will not be found in the B-complex or a daily vitamin so it does need to be taken in addition. It should be taken on an empty stomach with a full glass of water at least 30 minutes before eating for best absorption. If it bothers the stomach, it's OK to have tea after taking IP6, but no milk. If his iron levels rise, you should consider taking IP6 all the time. Even without high iron, IP6 has great value for its antioxidant effect. Iron is not the only cause of oxidative stress in thalassemia. The imbalance of alpha and beta globin also leads to oxidation, which is believed to shorten the lives of red blood cells. Antioxidants play a big role in the health of thalassemics and a diet and supplements high in antioxidants are keys to countering the stresses present in thal. I asked Dr. Rachmilewitz at the Singapore Conference about the possibility of combining Fermented Papaya Preparation (FPP) with antioxidants like vitamin E and IP6 to measure the cumulative effect and he seemed very interested in this idea. In fact, the next time he gave that same presentation at a lunch at the conference, he had added that suggestion to his talk. Because FPP has been shown to increase the effect of other supplements it is quite likely that it will do the same in combination with antioxidants.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
i know it is frustrating, slowly we see it going up and then one infection and it comes down drastically. It does feel like climbong a mountain.

This is exactly what i feel :mad :mad

Thanks Puja for your wishes :hugfriend

manal

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
do not worry Manal.
you are doing great with Ahmad. i know it is bad to hear that HB falls but,
in my opinioin;  the HB  ABILITY TO RISE(even if it falls one or two times) is our goal. even much important than escalator rising.
by other words:
our goal is to be in the safe mountain, may be one day on top, other day in middle but never in the base. cause only the base is harmful. of course top is great, but the goal is the mountain itself at the end. cause we may meet wind or rain while climbing but as we are always able to climb again so no problem
so dec in HB of Ahmed after infection or any other insult is not a problem, cause he is capable to overcome this (in shaa Allah) and continue his brave rising in the future.(as we know that the cause is infection wich is a transient cause)
so cheer up you are great mother with great child. continue fighting.
it will rise again :clap
mohamed

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »
 :agree
 :wink Sharmin

Sharmin

Offline poo gill

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »
Thanks Andy

I will start IP6 shortly and will update you with the prgoress.

Manal - cheer up my friend.. Ahmad is fine.. remeber...Think positive

Love

Puja

"We are like angels with just one wing. We can only fly by embracing each other." 

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:19 AM »
Puja,

How is Prat doing these days?  His hg had reached 10 at one time, and then he had experienced a drop when he was sick.  I hope that his hg is high again.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline poo gill

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2009, 04:57:40 AM »
Hi Sharni

I have not checked his hb since last month, as he had a viral infection. I am giving him some time to get better and then will get the hb tested. Going to India for all his check up's will post soon with all teh results.

Love to lil A.. how is he doing.

Andy  - what will be the dosage required for IP6 for prat , he is about 30 kgs.

Thanks

Puja

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
Puja,

Twice or thrice a day will be enough,Lil Z is about 27-28 kg and sometimes she takes 2 caps and sometimes three,it depends on when and how i am able to put it in her schedule of meds as it has to be taken on empty stomach.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Manal

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
Mohamed, Sharmin, Puja thank you all my friends for your care and support :hugfriend
Hope all our kids will be just fine

manal

Offline priya

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2009, 05:17:38 AM »
Hi Manal

I am really sorry to know about Ahmad infection and drop in HB. But i Hope and I pray that he recovers soon.

Dimple

Offline Manal

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2009, 09:54:50 AM »
Thanks Dimple a lot :hugfriend, I hope you and Priya are doing well

manal

Offline poo gill

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:31 AM »
Hi Zaini

Empty sotmach is like one hour before and after no food or is 30 mins considered ok. Also as i am going to buy it from India, what is the mg I should look for. If it 500 ? then is it ok to give 2 (ie 1000mg) together.

Thanks

Puja

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »
Puja,

Empty stomach will be two hours after meal,or if you are giving him first thing in the morning then don let him take his breakfast atleast for 30 minutes after IP6.I do actually give Lil Z 2 caps at a time and its been a while and we haven't seen any problem with that.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline poo gill

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »
Hi ZAini

What is the reason for having such a long gap. With the whole list of vitamins and medicines...2 hours  is really difficult to find.. Also is it very strict that the  milk cannot be taken  with in one hour.

If we give it first thing in the morning, then the milk and breakfast schedule gets affected.. how do u find time to squeeze it in.

Thanks

Puja

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk