Suffering by malaria

• 9 Replies

Offline ANI

Suffering by malaria
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »
Dear All
I am regular reader of this site byut somehow could contribute very little to this forus due to lack of connectivity. Now since I have it ,I want to ask suggestion for one of the problem my 2.5 yrs old son is facing.
My Son was suffering by high fever around 1st week of Feb '09 . Initially doctor were giving some antibiotics (Amoxycilin) and continued for 6 days but since his fever was nbot going down they checked for malaria and it was found to be affected by pan and PF both. Then they started E mol injection and chloroquinon for 7 days and fever subsided, But after that also he has slight fever around 99 to 99.5 Degre DF and this time they administered Quinon syrup and it worked. But after leaving this agian he had slght warmk bidy always near 99.2 . has anybody suffered similar problem. Pl suggest. what we should do:? is the dose of Quinon is less?

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Suffering by malaria
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
Dear Ani,

Welcome to our site.  I hope that your son feels better very soon.  Does your son have thal?  If so does he have minor, intermedia or major?   

A few of our members are familiar with malaria hopefully they can tell you of their experiences. 

Once again, welcome to the site  :hugfriend

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »
Hi ANI ,
i would like to ask you the same Sharmin asked,
Does your son have thal?  If so does he have minor, intermedia or major?
if he is a patient of Thalassemia, then , Is He Transfussion dependant Patient ( Thal major )??, if yes then i would like to ask wat is his S.Ferritin level ??? i m asking this bcoze High S.Fe is also make your body feel a little like slightly fever condition, as when my S.fe was in high ranges in that time my hand were always warm ..  please , tell a little more abt your son's conditions ,.. when i was searching on internet to get the article/info, regarding to your son's  condition , i got to know it vary's on condition as well , there i found a difference between thal minor's malaria and l malaria for thal majors ... soo please share a little more about your son's condition , it will make it easy to find rgiht answer for me ( i will try my best to find something and to share my malaria's experience ) ....

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »
ANI, hope your son gets better and

manal

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:23 AM »
I believe your son is a thal major,as i read in your profile,my daughter once got malaria and she was treated with chloroquine,and the fever went away,i really don't understand why your son's fever is being so constant,did the doctors do some reasearch,it might be something else then malaria.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:35:31 AM »
Ani,
Please know that you are not alone - we are all here with you  :hugfriend
Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline ANI

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
Dear All
Yes, My son has Thal major. His Se Ferritin level is also high.One thing was very peculiar about the serum Ferritin . We started Asunra(Exjade) around 6 month back when his Ferritin level went up to 1000. His body weight being 12 kg that time we started with 200 mg daily but surprisingly after 1 month f medicine and one transfusion in between the ferritin went up by 400. it was 1400 then. Again after one month when we checked it it was again more by 400( Now 1800). we conslted doctors and wrote to Novartis also.
They asked to start 300 mg daily( His body weight now is 13.5 KG) and chedk ferritin after 3 months.
Is it something common? Can someone advise on this also?

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
Hi ANI,
i hope that you will b fine and login again very soon ...yeah, its pretty mmuch normal with exjade . bcoze exjade first remove's iron from tissues bcoze of this Ferriting usualy rise in starting with exjade.. soo its common thing... here are many posts related to exjade and this rise in Ferritin .. i m posting the links of those posts .. please check these links to know more about Exjade ...

to find out the answer of 30mg/kg is the best dose ...
read these threads .... it is very common to elevate S.fe for 1st 4-6 months after starting Exjade , you i'll find the reason why it happen's in these threads .... and to make sure , you can ask this again , on forum ..

Subject : " Ferritin going up with Exjade. "
Link      : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=987.msg7542#msg7542

Subject   : " Exjade® benefits chronicaly transfused patients (Exjade removed iron from heart) "
Link        : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2412.0

Subject   : "Exjade Question........ "
Link        : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=688.0

Subject   : A few interesting bits of information about iron and chelation
Link        : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2629.0

Subject   : Exjade users advice
Link        : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=1718.0

about Ferrritin : my temprature were alway in 90's when my Ferrritin  was realy high. ..
and about malaria , i think it will take time to get back to energy levels on wat he was bfore he got ill ( malaria ) .. i will try my best to find some article about malaria and thalassemia ...
and i hope that other senior members wil help you as well ...

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »
Hi,

Its very common to see an increase in S.FE when Asunra is started.Until you reach the maxim um dose,which in your son's case would be 400 mg,slowly increase his dose and stick to chelation,i hope you'll see a decrease soon.Please keep monitoring his liver and kidney levels.

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:46:58 PM »
Please keep monitoring his liver and kidney levels.
:exactly :agree to wat Zaini Said , in addition i want to say that , Liver could also Cause Slight Fever as well , Fever like condition in which your Boddy remain continiously a little Warmer than normal ...

Best Regards
Take Care
Umair

===========
Umair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk