The role of nutrients and the effects of nutrient deficiencies in thalassemia

• 11 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
I have uploaded some slides from the New York Conference (please see Gallery - reference pictures). 

The first slide outlines the role of zinc in bone density.  The second lists various vitamin deficiencies and their effect on immunity.  

From the conference I have learned that there is little doubt that vitamin supplements are essential in preventing many of the complications in thalassemia - how much and how to supplement may need to be fine tuned.  

For my son, I have started to split his vitamin supplements so that he takes them twice a day.  This has made it much easier on his stomach.  

Sharmin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:34:49 PM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Lena

You are right, Sharmin. Not only easier on the stomach but also coverage on a 24hour basis. That means  vitamins in our bodies all day long, which is essential.

Lena.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Hmmm,I'll have to work that out with Lil Z .

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
I am giving lil A many supplements - in addition to 1000mg of exjade each night.  His stomach hurts quite a bit.  Today I gave him the second half of his dose in the evening - and he threw it up just before his hockey game.  I am going to have to find a better way to give him his supplements.  Perhaps even to give him a break for a week or so from some of them.  Maybe I will only give him the vit D, B complex and cal/mag for the next week. 

I think it is making him quite miserable having a tummy ache all of the time. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Lena

Stomach problems are to be  avoided. If his stomach is aching all the time, it will lead to permanent stomach trouble. That's not good.

Lena.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Sharmin,

In addition to having short supplement vacations, another ongoing method is to not take each supplement every day. Some can be taken every other day. Some can be taken on weekdays only. By doing this, he will be taking fewer pills each day. Splitting doses between morning and evening is also important, as is avoiding taking most supplements on an empty stomach. I also think some things are better to just get from food. Things like turmeric and cinnamon, for example, can be had by diet and don't necessarily require supplementation. Experimenting with different times of day may help with Exjade tolerance.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lena

This is one issue we have to discuss: some supplements, like zinc, require an empty stomach for a better absorption. Of course, they are only few. And for those who are on ferriprox chelation therapy, like myself, that means you have to take 10 ferriprox pills per day plus any other supplement and vitamin. Too much, don't you think?

I agree curcumin and cinnamon being taken from food, that's what I'll try to do from now on.

Lena.

Offline Prets

Sharmin,

I always take very low dose vitamins/medicines as its the only thing my body can tolerate. One thing that works for me is to start a low dose pill to begin with, then gradually work it up.

Like if i need to take 2 multivitamin pills a day, I start by taking half a pill (or a lower strength) once a week, then i increase it up to twice a week and so on. when I am sure i have adjusted to a certain dose, then i make the next increase, till i finally achieve the actual dose I am required to take.

With practice you can judge which pills can be taken together comfortably.

Hope this helps.

:smiley
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Thank you Lena, Andy and Preety.  I think that taking too many supplements is causing stomach aches, which is leading to crankiness and decreased appetite.  I try supplementing every second day with certain supplements, splitting doses and giving certain supplements only during weekdays. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
IM DOING BODYBUILDING ......... and for that i take 2multivitamin tablets that include 9 minerals n 9 vitamins and whey protein.......... other factors of my diets include

carbohydrates ... potatoes,bananas,milk,bread

proteins ... eggs, milk, chicken , mince meat

fats ... sunflower and olive oil  /////          vitamins n dietry fibers SALAD ..... bananas

i total hav intake of around 4000 cals with protein 200g every day .................... and wow wut a metabolism speed im having
Waleed

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
Waleed,

You are taking meat?
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
Waleed,

You are taking meat?

yup but white meat chicken only ... red meat only once or twice or maximum thrice per week ...  red meat has lower protein and higher cholestrol n fat than the chicken
Waleed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk