Flu Vaccine

• 24 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Flu Vaccine
« on: October 27, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »
Our family ended up getting the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine.  The H1N1 vaccine is said to be 94 - 96% effective in preventing the flu. 

We were strongly encouraged by Oakland and our pediatrician because lil A has thal major, he has been on rituximab and a slight reactive airway, and he is sometimes on prednisone because of the antibody.  When he was sick a month ago, with the terrible persisting fever we realized the risks to his health the flu can pose.  Taking 3 doses of Tamiflu was very very terrible - and the protocol for lil A if he presents with symptoms is to give Tamiflu again.  In his unique condition, we decided that our family would be vaccinated to protect him from the flu, pneumonia and meningitis that can result from some of these flus.  I hope that we made the right decision - but the immediate danger to his health had to be considered. 

I don't know what the right answer is.  I hope that everyone will make an informed decision based on their personal situation. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Flu Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »
One day after getting the vaccines, Lil A has presented with influenza.  I am very worried about him, his fever is very high and it came on very suddenly.  I suppose that he must have been exposed a while back and it has suddenly hit him now.  I hope that he will be okay.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:02:09 PM »
I know every doctor in the world will disagree with what I say but my experience has been that the flu shot causes symptoms. I have been sick with flu symptoms for 3 days after getting a flu shot, so I try to avoid having the shot. Hopefully, little A's symptoms clear quickly.

I don't want to tell people what to do on this one and instead am advising everyone to see if the people they know who get a flu shot have any reaction to it, before having theirs. I would also recommend that people take vitamin D because it does lower your chances of getting colds and flu.

I hope little A gets well soon.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »
Thanks Andy,

We waivered for quite some time about this decision, and when the doctors in Oakland urged us to get the shots we did.  However, I can say that we all feel miserable right now.  Little A is doing the worst.  To be honest, I picked him up from school laughing and playing yesterday - he was so happy that he could barely stand in line waiting for the shot - and since having his shot he has been feeling miserable.  His fever was near 40 C earlier today.  The doctor said that the flu shot is a Red Herring in this case, and that lil A was probably exposed earlier and was going to get sick anyway.  I am not sure what to think.  He was doing really well since we got back.  Personally I feel like I have been hit by a truck! 

Lil A is on Tamiflu once again, he will also be taking antibiotics  :wah :wah

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
Sharmin, i do agree with Andy that some people expierence symptoms after taking the seasnal flu shot and i personally have seen this.

I hope that these symptoms will soon disappear.

Sharmin, did he get the  flu shot and the H1N1 at the same time??
What is the reason of giving Tamiflu again???

manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
Hi Manal,

We received both vaccines at once.  One on each arm so we are walking around like zombies. 

The doctor believes that lil A has influenza, possibly h1n1 therefore they put him on the antiviral and antibiotics to protect him.  He is quite sick and his fever is quite high. 

There have been a few deaths of young children in our area - healthy children being sick with h1n1 for a short duration and suddenly collapsing.  It is quite alarming the age group that is being affected by this virus. 

Although people die of the seasonal flu each year, it is usually the very old or the very young - it is rarely healthy people in this age group. 

I hope that everyone stays safe. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:37 AM »
Sharmin, are you going to do the blood test to confirm whether it is H1N1??

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:26 AM »
Hi Manal,

Yes, we did a swab test to determine whether he has h1n1.  We will get the results over the next few days.  The doc also did a blood test to see how is cbc is doing.  I hope that his hg has held up. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Narendra

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:20:57 AM »
Sharmin,

I have known quite a few people who have got reactions due to the regular flu vaccine. One of my friend got fever after getting the flu shot and there was another one of my friend who was hospitalized after getting the flu shot. She was so mad and positively thinks it was the flu vaccine that landed her in the hospital. Although, there might have been other reasons.

On the other end, we hear thousands of people get regular flu shots and have no reaction. So, don't know who gets hit with the side effects of the flu shots.

I hope Little A and you all recover soon. In the meantime, please make sure all of you drink lots of fluids and rest as much as possible. Use Sanitizer so that if someone has the virus it is not spread. Another reason, why you might be feeling bad - might be the trip to NY. These journey's do take their toll on the body, so rest as much as possible. Hope your husband is not sick as well and keep your daughter away from Little A (although that might be a tough things to do). Do keep us updated on how Little A is doing.

Offline Zaini

• Life is too short to be perfect.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:10:02 AM »
Sharmin,

I am really sorry to hear about Lil A's fever,i hope he will be recovered soon,please keep us informed.I am sure everything will turn out fine,sending prayers your way. :hugfriend

Zaini.
^*^Xaini^*^

Offline Lena

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »

Sharmin,

I do also know people who have got reactions after the seasonal flu shot--many, too.
Hope everything returns to normal soon. What about chelation? He has stopped chelation, hasn't he?

Lena.

Offline Manal

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »
Sharmin

How is little A today, hope the fever has gone. Please update.
Is there any cough??

manal

Offline jade

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
Hi Sharmin
How is Little A, now?Have you received the results? Do give him lots of fluids and watch out for mucus. 
Wish him a speedy recovery.
Jade

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
Thank you all so much for your messages,

I had a fever last night (38 C) but I feel much better now.  My daugter is the only one who did not feel the effects of the vaccines, but I think it may be because she only received half the dose.  She will have a booster in three weeks.  

Narendra, thank you so much for the advise.  I will be sure keep up our fluids and get lots of rest.   Manal, lil A does not have a cough associated with his fever, yet.  I am hopeful that this may have been a result of the vaccine and not the actual flu.  Unfortunately with him, the protocol is to err on the side of caution - meaning tamiflu and antibiotics.  Because of rituximab, his B cells have been suppressed , therefore he cannot easily create antibodies against new illnesses (is he protected against older viruses etc through IVIG) so the docs take extra caution with him.  People who are not immunosuppressed probably would not get the same treatment. 

Lil A also felt better by the evening, but I am letting him sleep in this morning.  My experience with him is that he oftens gets better and then fever hits him again so I am going to be cautious.  He wants to go to school because he has a soccer game.  Can you believe that he played a soccer game yesterday, and that he did very well moments before telling me that he had the chills and coming down with a 40 C fever?  

I was told something very profound by one of the adult thal patients in NYC, a beautiful young lady who is a nurse.  She told me that when most people are moving around at 80% when they are practising for a race - and 100% when running the actual race - she said thals are always at 100%.  Thals learn to push through low hg, aches, maladies, etc etc but they work harder so that they are still performing as well as everyone else.    I was so moved by these people, and I am happy to say that my little guy seems to be doing his best all of the time too.  

Sharmin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:35:02 PM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Manal

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 05:50:14 PM »
Sharmin, i feel that things are much better now and will be under control but as you said,it is better to be cautious. It will be great if you convience him to stay home just another day to make sure everything is okay.

I am sorry to know you had a fever too but at least you know now that some people have symptoms from shots and therefore you may be a bit releaved towards little A.

Please take care and wishing you all a speedy recovery\

manal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk