Bilirobin

• 18 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Bilirobin
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:34 AM »
This is a normal occurrence in breastfed babies and is no problem. Indirect sunlight is recommended if possible. There's a nice article about this at http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/jaundice-in-the-breastfed-baby

There is a liquid vitamin D made from lanolin from sheep's wool that is quite palatable and would be easy to mix with breast milk. A couple drops would most likely suffice.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Bobby

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
I have been jaundiced my whole life. When I was little I was told that my skin had a yellowish tint, but that has since gone away, but it's still prevalent in my eyes. Some days worse that others. I've had a liver MRI and everything was functioning properly. My liver is huge, but it works. I actually got to see a picture of it from the inside of my stomach when I had a biopsy on my extramedullary hematosis.

Offline Prets

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
Bobby, are you a thal minor? Sorry I forget a lot of what I read here, am prone to migraines, so I keep my reading fast and short! :-)

I have been jaundiced my whole life. When I was little I was told that my skin had a yellowish tint, but that has since gone away, but it's still prevalent in my eyes. Some days worse that others. I've had a liver MRI and everything was functioning properly. My liver is huge, but it works. I actually got to see a picture of it from the inside of my stomach when I had a biopsy on my extramedullary hematosis.
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Prets

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
Andy,

Are the antioxidants taken by thal majors, the same that a symptomatic thal minor would need? I have a problem with most pills so its tough to decide what to take. 

When i'm dehydrated, nothing helps, except rest. Not sure why. I noticed once that iv glucose gives me a very energetic feeling even after i've been unwell. Water and electrolytes help provided I take compete rest for a day or two.

Hi Pretty,

Yes, it does look like normal hemolysis which is affected by the amount of physical activity. The hemolysis is related to oxidative stresses related to physical activity and thal minor red cells easily break down from oxidation and dehydration of the cells. Staying well hydrated during activity can help, as can making sure your intake of antioxidants is considered when you are more active. Fresh fruit can help with both hydration and providing antioxidants.
Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk