• 10 Replies
City Doctors Find Vitamin Cure For Thalassaemia
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:05:48 AM »
Times of India
16 September 2010
By Prithvijit Mitra
Kolkata, India

Thalassaemia research has been taking steady strides in Kolkata. Now, scientists at the NRS Medical College and Hospital have identified a vitamin that can retard the disintegration of haemoglobin, which leads to the potentially fatal disorder. By slowing down the decay of beta and alpha components of haemoglobin, the vitamin can reduce the need for blood transfusion. The study has been published in a medical journal and the research team is preparing for a human trial.

While researching on the causes that trigger thalassaemia, a team of researchers at the biochemistry department of NRS – led by scientist Monoj Kar – chanced upon oxidative stress as a possible reason. "It breaks up haemoglobin into sub–units, which are the two sets of alpha and beta cells, making iron flow out of them. This leads to a process called fanton reaction which eventually leads to the death of the cell. We found that riboflavin, that is vitamin B2, slows down this disintegration process to a large extent. This could allow thalassaemia patients to go without blood transfusion for a longer period," explained Kar.

The disintegration of haemoglobin and the consequent release of iron into the system could lead to other diseases as well. It often triggers rheumatoid arthritis, renal failure and diabetes. "This is a kind of a vicious cycle. The more iron you have in your system, the higher would be the risk of these diseases. So, the key is to slow down the process even if we can’t stop it completely," said Kar. West Bengal has 26,000 thalassaemia major patients. A majority of them survive on transfusion.

Recently published in a medical journal, the study has raised hopes of at least a partial cure for thalassaemia patients. The decks are being cleared for a human trial which could pave the way riboflavin to be used as a drug.

"The research has indeed shown that it effectively curbs the rate of red blood cell disintegration. Most importantly, this will reduce the flow of iron into the system of thalassaemia patients. The iron acts like free radicals and destroys cells. It could even lead to cancer in the long run," said Ashish Mukhopadhyay, director of the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Cancer Research Institute, Kolkata.

The vitamin B2 could also help to reduce the impact of acquired haematological disorders like acquired hemolytic anaemia, auto–immune hemolytic anaemia, stress anaemia, blood group incompatibility and Rh incompatibility.

Earlier this year, a group of Saha Institute of Nuclear Research (SINP) scientists came up with a pioneering research that could help early detection and better management of H e–beta thalassaemia (HbEß) – a form of the haematogical disease that could be life–threatening. It was globally acknowledged and published in the prestigious journal Proteomics – Clinical Application. Even though the paper had been ready by early 2008, it took the team of scientists almost two years to secure the recognition

Offline Dori

Re: City Doctors Find Vitamin Cure For Thalassaemia
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Has vitamin B2 also a different name?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:13 AM »
B2= Riboflavin.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:58:14 AM »
This sounds very interesting.  Andy, what is your opinion on using riboflavin as a therapeutic drug to extend the life of transfused blood? 

Thank you,

Sharni
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:15:47 AM »
Well, if anyone ever wonders why I push a B-complex supplement, this should help answer that question. The recommended daily dose is actually quite low, but the supplement I take daily has 100 mg. B2 is necessary for the other B vitamins to be properly utilized, so it has added importance, along with the emerging evidence that it is a good antioxidant. There are various reasons to take antioxidants, but for thals, slowing the breakdown of red blood cells is a big reason. What this article suggests is that this may have application as a concentrated drug. For now, take your B-complex daily.
Andy

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
I have posted about a DBA trail on leucine. Please read and comment.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »
Little A's transfusion requirement is increasing after a year of things going really well.  I will definitely look into this. 

Thanks Andy,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 03:10:48 AM »
Sharmin,

What's little A's current daily dose of B2 and magnesium?
Andy

Offline Cari

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

I also had a question regarding supplements I've been giving Ari.  One is a Bcomplex vitamin but it has Vit C.  I stopped giving it to him for a while because I kept hearing Vit C was not good for thal children. I've listed what I have below.  Can anyone guide me in the correct direction. 

I started him on Vitamin E and Vitamin D drops already.  These are a few things I want to start introducing to him now.  Can you please let me know if these next two multivitamins are okay to take together.  They both have some of the same ingredients though so I'm nervous to do both. 

Natures Plus Kids Greenz – with broccoli, spinach and other greens.  Chewable – 250 mg - Sharni - I started giving him these because he's really bad with veggies.  The only thing is that he has been very constipated for the past few days. 

B-Complex w/ Vit C Chewable
Vit c – 20mg
Thiamin --- 0.4 mg
Riboflavin - 0.5mg
Niacin –---- 4.6mg
B6 – ---------4mcg
Folic Acid – 200 mg
B12 –------- 4mcg
Biotin – ----150mcg
Pantothenic Acid – 2.5mg
Slevia Leaf Extract – 2mg

Dr. Greene Multivitamin Toddler Drops
Vit A ----1500 IU
Vit C-----35 mg
Vit D ----400 IU
Vit E ----5 IU
Thiamin -0.5 mg
Riboflavin –0.6 mg
Niacin—8mg
B6 -----0.4 mg
B12 ----2mcg
3mg
DHA – 20mg

I am also going to start him on the IP6 capsules - i just have to order them since the only thing i'm finding here are the tablets.  The other thing I am going to start now is the green tea extract. 

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
Cari,

The total vitamin C when taking both is only 55 mg. This is needed and should not be avoided in low doses like this. At his age, he should have no problems with up to 100 mg daily. I don't particularly like vitamin A as a supplement, but if veggies are missing form the diet, it does become more necessary. I don't see any problem taking the two together.
Andy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
We found that riboflavin, that is vitamin B2, slows down this disintegration process to a large extent. This could allow thalassaemia patients to go without blood transfusion for a longer period," explained Kar.

Here is a snip from a discussion about iron in Parkinsons .. and it
seems the Phd here .. agrees to riboflavin .. TARGETING .. iron ..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to find some natural and safe substances (foods and/or
supplements that cross the bbb) that will bind to free iron and clear
it out of the brain. Two that I know of are green tea and lipoic acid.

(those not interested in a bunch of chemistry should skip this
paragraph ).

Iron exists as either Fe(3+) or Fe(2+) and has an atomic number of 26
(26 protons). Thus Fe(3+) has 23 electrons and 5 electrons in the outer
shell while Fe(2+) has 24 electrons and 6 in the outer shell. So for
the chemistry pros out there, how many electrons in the outer shell
would be most stable for Fe? This would determine what atoms or
molecules would bond with either Fe(3+) or Fe(2+). Such atoms or
molecules, if they were safe to ingest and crossed the bbb, could be
used to lower the iron levels in the brains of PWP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iron chelators

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You missed out one important chelator for the excess iron we parkies
have, that is curcumin. Not only is it anti-inflammatory, and a
powerful antioxidant, (more so in the presence of bioperine/piperine),
but it has a 1,3 dione structure which makes it an excellent chelator
of excess iron.
Ferric iron is the more stable form of iron. Ferrous iron gradually
oxidises to ferric and remains in ferric form since it is more stable.
Intrestingly, I think vitamin B2 (riboflavin) also forms ferric
complexes.
Phd

Please explain what you mean when you say that vitamin B-2 (riboflavin)
also forms ferric complexes.
Is that good, or is it not?
I know nothing about chemistry beyond glaze making for pottery! ( all
inorganic.)
I hope is is good since I've been taking it and pushing it vigorously
on others here.

It is good news, we need small amounts of iron for a stage in the
series of reactions, converting the precursers to dopamine. However,
Parkies tend to have an excess of iron which is a bad thing since it
catalyses oxidation attack on the brain.
A chemical that binds iron (or some other metals) is called a chelator,
and vitamin B2 does this, as does curcumin. So B2 is capable of
removing the excess of iron we have, and stops it doing any damage. B2
therefore fastens itself to the iron forming what is known as a
complex, and removes the excess iron from your body.
Hope this is a clear explanation.

Phd

Thank you so very much for answering my question so quickly and so
fully. That is very good to know, and it makes complete sense to me
though I know nothing at all about organic chemistry. They really did
do us a favor those Brazilian scientists, however faulty their study. I
will continue taking B-2, and now I will know WHY I take it, and why it
helps.
All the best to you too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk