High Iron Saturation Level..what to do?

• 3 Replies

Offline TonyF

High Iron Saturation Level..what to do?
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

Hi folks...my first post, be kind! ;-)
I'm glad i found this forum and some kindred spirits.

I have beta thal and im wondering about my high Iron Saturation %(also called transferrin saturation i think), it seems to
be creeping up so im wondering what i can do to arrest it. Or is it nothing to worry about? I didnt find many posts on this theme(i looked, honest!)

Todays results(i was fasted)

Iron         122ug/dl
TIBC         217   ug/dl
Iron Saturation      56%      
Transferrin      170 mg/dl

B12         333pmol/l
Folic acid      19.1nmol/l

HB         12.6g/dl   low(but perhaps ok for a thal?)
Red cell count      6.6 x10-12/l   hi
Lymphocytes      1.43x10-9/l   low
MCV         60fL      low
MCH         19pg      low
RDC         16.7%      hi
platelets      167x10-9/l   low

I follow a paleo type diet, so perhaps i will cut back on red meat, and avoid vitamin c with it if if do.
Seems that my addiction(dark chocolate) has alot of non heme iron too ;-(

Questions!!
I started supplementing with folic acid(800mcg) and b12(200mcg) about 3 weeks before the test, levels were high on the test vs normal ranges. Are they high enough for a thal turning over lots of RBCs though?

I tried to give blood a few weeks ago and my ferritin level(i think) was slightly too low, would it even help me if i did managed
to donate?

I forgot to ask the doc for a homocysteine test - is that worth doing?

Many thanks in advance folks!!!!

Tony.

Offline TonyF

Re: High Iron Saturation Level..what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

Bump!
Any suggestions on my high Iron Saturation level/low Transferrin?
The Saturation level has gone from 47% to 56% in 18 months.
First doc said we should monitor it closely, i moved country though and second doc said not to worry.

Should i donate blood? If so i have another issue..i lived in the UK for a few years so many donation centres outside the UK wont accept my blood due to the potential of mad cow disease! Do i need to persuade my doc to draw blood and dump it?!

Iron         122ug/dl
TIBC         217   ug/dl
Iron Saturation      56%     
Transferrin      170 mg/dl

Thanks in advance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »
Tony,

Your iron numbers are mostly in range. Your saturation is high but this can be related to the normal hemolysis in thal minor. Can you give blood?

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing#arc5
In-Depth Discussion of Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease and Blood Donation
In some parts of the world, cattle can get an infectious, fatal brain disease called Mad Cow Disease. In these same locations, humans have started to get a new disease called variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease (vCJD) which is also a fatal brain disease. Scientists believe that vCJD is Mad Cow Disease that has somehow transferred to humans, possibly through the food chain.

There is now evidence from a small number of case reports involving patients and laboratory animal studies that vCJD can be transmitted through transfusion. There is no test for vCJD in humans that could be used to screen blood donors and to protect the blood supply. This means that blood programs must take special precautions to keep vCJD out of the blood supply by avoiding collections from those who have been where this disease is found.

At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:

You are not eligible to donate if:

From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.

Channel Islands
England
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames

From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including

in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed above
on or associated with military bases as described above, and
in other countries in Europe as listed below:
Albania
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia/Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland (Republic of)
Italy
Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
Netherlands (Holland)
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline TonyF

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Andy,
Thanks for the info, good to know im in range for a beta thal.
Yes i was in the UK during that timeframe so dont think i can donate blood..will see if i can find a doc to draw blood(without donation..).

Thanks again.
T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk