Hematologist Results

• 3 Replies
Hematologist Results
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »
I received the results from my blood testing by the hematologist. He confirmed that I do, indeed, have beta thalassemia minor.

My hemoglobin was a 10.2.

My iron saturation was on the low side (12%). He would prefer that I don't take iron supplements and instead increase my consumption of iron rich foods.

I do exhibit a Vitamin D deficiency, and he recommended that I take 3000 mg a day and then get retested in a few months.

Everything else (ferritin, folate, B12, thyroid) was within the normal range.

I'm interested to know what you all recommend. I have already introduced a multivitamin (with no iron) and some additional Vitamin D tablets. Anything else I should be doing?

Offline CatherineM

Re: Hematologist Results
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

The below is taking fro the Better Health Channel

Iron-rich foods
Iron absorption by the body can be affected by the amount and type of iron consumed, dietary factors that enhance or inhibit iron absorption and an individual’s need for iron (when the body is low in iron, it absorbs a higher percentage from food). Absorption of iron from food is about 18 per cent from a typical western diet (including animal foods) and about ten per cent from a vegetarian diet.

Consult with your doctor for more information about building iron into a healthy diet. Some suggestions include:
High-risk groups such as vegetarians, adolescent girls and women athletes need to eat iron-rich foods each day (combined with foods that are high in vitamin C).
Wholegrain cereals, meat, poultry and fish are good sources of dietary iron.
Liver is an especially rich source of iron, but pregnant women should avoid this source because of its high content of vitamin A.
Choose iron-fortified breakfast cereals and breads.
Vegetarians who exclude all animal products from their diet may need almost twice as much dietary iron each day as non-vegetarians. Sources include dark green leafy vegetables – such as spinach – and raisins, nuts, seeds, beans, peas, and iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas.
Vitamin C increases iron absorption, so eat more brightly coloured fruits and vegetables.
Cut back on the amount of tea and coffee you drink, especially around mealtimes, since the tannins in tea and coffee bind to the iron and interfere with absorption

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »
My suggestion would be to not attempt to increase iron consumption at all - continue to eat your normal diet.  Anemia in thalassemia is not caused by iron deficiency (usually).  You will be better off taking folic acid, wheat grass and other supplements listed in the diet and supplementations section of the forum. 
Increasing vitamin D and other antioxidants will also be protective in other aspects of your health.  Vitamin D deficiency is linked to many ailments and fatigue. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
I would add a natural Vitamin E complex to the mix for its substantial antioxidant properties.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk