Does Liver also enlarge with spleen

• 9 Replies
Does Liver also enlarge with spleen
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:27:19 AM »
In case of an enlarged spleen, does the liver also enlarge. If so why does that happen. In case there has been a discussion on this topic already please guide me about where to read it
Thank you,
Pooja

Offline Dharmesh

Re: Does Liver also enlarge with spleen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
The enlargement of Liver happen due to continuous transfusions without adequate chelation. If there is no chelation at all it will enlarge quickly and vice versa. So, Hepato-megaly do happen in Thalassemia because Liver store the excess iron (The excess iron remains in the body due to inadequate chelation)
The only key to Success over Thalassemia is Adequate Transfusion with Adequate Chelation without worrying about future.
I am also having hepato-spleenomegaly but it can be managed. So at this point of time i want to say chelate well and throw the worry outside of your mind.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
Hi, thank u for your response.. But I am talking about where no transfusion has taken place. Thal intermediate... No transfusion yet with hb between 8 to 9 for the last yr. The spleen is enlarging and liver too (at a slower pace). According to the doctor both organs are trying to compensate for less haemoglobin by trying to produce it. Thus they are hyperactive and enlarged. However, the kidney and liver function tests are normal. The iron is within range.
Thanks for helping,
Pooja

Offline Bobby

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »
This also happened in my case. Very few transfusions, but my spleen and liver are enlarged. Both function properly the are just large. I did chelate with Exjade for about 5 months to bring my iron down from 2200 to under 700 a few years ago, but my spleen and liver have been enlarged since childhood when i had the majority of my transfusions. I also have extra tissue growing in my back and a chest mass that produce extra red blood cells. Again no pain or problems.

Offline Poirot

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
Hi, thank u for your response.. But I am talking about where no transfusion has taken place. Thal intermediate... No transfusion yet with hb between 8 to 9 for the last yr. The spleen is enlarging and liver too (at a slower pace). According to the doctor both organs are trying to compensate for less haemoglobin by trying to produce it. Thus they are hyperactive and enlarged. However, the kidney and liver function tests are normal. The iron is within range.
Thanks for helping,
Pooja

The doctor is quite right, Pooja. These organs are expanding due to the dual effects of low haemoglobin in the body. In the case of "Intermedia" (quotes because intermedias have a diverse range), the bone marrow can produce some amount of misshaped RBCs. The Spleen then becomes hyperactive to get rid of these cells, which in turn leads to the bone marrow trying to work some more - in effect, a vicious cycle develops where the spleen will get enlarged and the bone marrow will expand, weakening the bones. Due to the increased haemolysis, the liver may also get affected in some cases, and this will show up in the LFT at some point in time - increased bilirubin levels.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
Hi,

My 7 year old faces same problem. Thal Intermedia- enlarged spleen & liver.

Pooja, are you in delhi? can we talk? my email id is tinakhanna30@gmail.com

rgds
Tina

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
same is for my 6.5yrs son, that intermedia
liver is around 5cm
speen is around 4 cm

Dear Boby,

do u have been treated for large size of liver?

Offline Bobby

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
Dip,

No. I have never been treated for it. It's healthy and never caused any problems. Once during a minor surgery the surgeon took a picture of it from my stomach to show me how big it was. Amazing!

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 05:28:20 PM »
Yup An enlagred liver is very normal. I have HbH and the ultrasound techs were not informed when I got a test done. It was rather freaky as they pulled in 3 other techs to check out my liver, once I told them I have Hemoglobin H, they looked disappointed and walked out of the room. But I was pooping my pants that they found something interesting.

Offline joanne

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »
I wonder if that's why my liver and pancreas was enlarged last week when I had an ultrasound? The dr said its because I have gallstones but I wonder??

I was born with a big spleen 18cm so no surprise there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk