What is the maximum HB level I can go? Beta thal minor

• 3 Replies

Offline PixieDust

What is the maximum HB level I can go? Beta thal minor
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »
Hi all,

Just thought it is worth asking above question here ? I'm a beta thal minor and my current HB level is 9.1 (10 months after delivering a baby) I have noticed here there are thal minors with HGB 11 also. How can I improve my HB level.

Any test to determine this?

I don't eat any red meat.

Thanks
Indunil

Re: What is the maximum HB level I can go? Beta thal minor
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »
Are you taking the vitamins and supplements mentioned in the other posts I.e. folic acid, etc? Also do you regularly exercise especially aerobic exercise? From my experience a combination of both these things doesn't help much with my hemoglobin (I'm usually at 10; I know it never jumps more than .5-.7) BUT I have increased energy, stamina, and better mood. I'm in the same boat as you with a young infant so am trying to get back into working out even just 20 mins daily :)
Keep your head up. God gives the hardest battles to his strongest soldiers.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »
My dad is a Thal Minor (obviously, hehe) and he always almost maintains his Hb above 12, mind well we are vegetarians, still. My brother, who is also minor maintains his Hb above 12 as well, surprisingly that guy don't take any supplements like B-Complex despite I force him a lot of time or takes very scarcely in rare occasions. You can find those lying at his desk usually (damn not right, right?  :mad). I go mad at him sometimes because of it. He also has a job, btw.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
Well a thal minor too can have HB in the range of 13-14 also. In my case itself my HB has gone up to as high as 13.1. When I got my blood work and electrophoresis done for the first time in 2011, my HB showed 13.1 but the electrophoresis report still showed that I am a carrier.

I think HB levels could differ for male and a female. I think women too can get their HB level up between 11-12. Dates and dry fruits are rich source of iron and can help you improve your HB.
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk