Hi from alpha-thal minor parents

• 2 Replies
Hi from alpha-thal minor parents
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
Hi everyone, I have been a silent reader but decided to register so I could share my story. It is difficult to talk about thalassemia with people that don't have/know it.

When I was pregnant with my first child, I didn't know I had alpha thalassemia minor till the blood tests raised that issue. My parents had no clue about it. My husband knew he had alpha thalassemia minor from his mum. I was very lucky that my daughter was only a thalassemia minor just like us.

I fell pregnant again by accident when my daughter was 15 months old. This time I did a CVS to test to find out the thalassemia genotype. Unluckily this time, he was homozygous for alpha thalassemia and had Hb Bart's hydrops fetalis, which is incompatible with life. We were devestated and I proceeded with the termination with a heavy heart, knowing that it is against my religion.

It has been 3 months since then. We have decided to wait a while before deciding to have more kids. We do want more eventually (at least one more), but we are not sure if we should try naturally or via IVF (incidentally also against my religion).

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:59:26 AM by chinook »

Re: Hi from alpha-thal minor parents
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
i know and understand your situation real well as i am also meeting this issue. me and my future wife are both having alpha thal minor... we have gone thru DNA analysis and find out both of us are carrying the alpha trait. my family did object on our marriage but still i decided to stay my life with her. we going to get married real soon and we will try to get baby naturally first. pray hard result will be good, else will end up with termination which is the saddest case to be... hope u are doing well there...

Offline joyce

• with my baby jovy..
Re: Hi from alpha-thal minor parents
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
Hi Chinook...
I do understand your situation. I also feel want to have baby more but how?
with this condition like ours, it will be more complicated than the normal parents.

Pray harder..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk