Frequent dizziness

• 12 Replies

Offline FLC

Frequent dizziness
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:14:27 AM »
Have thal minor and many symptoms, one of the more noticeable ones is that I'm always dizzy. Is this common in anybody else and anything you recommend that may help? Thanks!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Frequent dizziness
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
FLC,

This is a common complaint of thal minors and dizziness was a symptom found in one third of minors studied in the study that finally admitted that thalassemia minor does cause symptoms in many minors. You can see this study attached as a pdf file to the post at
http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php?topic=2769.msg26797#msg26797
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
Its very common in thal minor as Andy had said, I have always felt it.
Regards.

Offline FLC

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:23:43 AM »
Thanks, I just seem to get it so often that it affects my daily activities and can really slow me down. I wasn't sure if it was something that Thal minors experience often like I do, or just a symptom that comes and goes.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:42:03 AM »
I get dizzy quite a bit as well, I used to pass out, but I have learned when I need to lay down.  I've been able to identify some common warning signs in myself; I get annoyed easily, I may have tingling in my lips and hands, my ears will ring, and I will become very intolerant to heat.  I'll also get more shaky than normal.  It also seems to relate to not eating for several hours.  My mother and grandmother also have thal and have had the same experience.  Best thing I can recommend is to know your body when it's giving you cues rest for a bit.  Best of luck!

Crissy

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:45:23 AM »
I am guessing that it may be related to the anemia - causing lower oxygen levels at times and lower blood pressure.  It helps to drink more fluids - water or juice - especially when you feel this way.  It is a good idea to lie down and help yourself to a drink or a meal. 

Be sure to eat every 2 hours to keep sugar levels regular as well.  The steps can help reduce the dizziness.

Best of luck,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:51:38 AM »
I would be interested in hearing from thal minors who have tried deep breathing exercises such as what are done in yoga, to counter the dizziness, and if it has any positive effect. I am wondering if deeper breathing can provide a higher oxygen level throughout the body.
Andy

Offline Prets

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
I get dizzy frequently too, its important to identify the triggers and also everything that makes it worse. Like heat, exertion, less frequent meals, low sugar, low BP, etc.

Since I am better informed now, I tackle it better.

Stop whatever you're doing and try to eliminate any of the factors that make you feel worse.

Sit or lie down as soon as possible, preferably in the shade or cool, sip fluids, carry a chocolate if possible for such situations, or a salty snack that you can access fast. 

The idea is to be really quick, so you don't pass out.  :-)

I started deep breathing to reduce anxiety/stress in general, and I noticed a Positive side-effect.   :-)

When one is uneasy or unwell, the breathing naturally tends to become disturbed/faster. That sometimes magnifies the extent of the issue at hand.

So I've trained myself with practice - to close my eyes and Deep Breathe a few times, when I've exhausted all other options. Most of the time, it comforts me, and prevents any panic.  That in itself, helps me handle the crisis better.

According to me, the deep breathing definitely helps, but I can only do maybe 5-10 deep breaths at a time, or it makes me dizzy  :-) and defeats the original purpose itself.    :-)  Even few minutes of Yoga actually used to make me feel I would black out!  :-)

(No offence to Yoga or those that practice it!)

As a general routine for health, 5 deep breaths in a row, every chance I get - works best for ME.

If it feels like a very tiring exercise to do - probably you should only try  1-2 deep breaths at a time. (That is how I started).

Andy this definitely has something to do with increased oxygen intake plus a lot more - that i'm not sure of.   :-) 

Symptomatic Beta Thal Minor.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »
Preety,

Thanks for some good advice. I've noticed there is a tendency to hold one's breath or to take shallow breaths during periods of anxiety and that consciously breathing can help one to relax. Even when not trying to breathe deeply, making sure you are breathing regularly can relieve many symptoms, especially those feelings of panic. I hope others will take your advice and learn to consciously breathe.
Andy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
My daughter has been experiencing this alot lately and has passed out a few times over last 6 months symptoms seem to have increased dramatically

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
I have been practicing breathing techniques similar to yoga and they seem to help me, in the big picture. Not getting dizzy as often as I used to. The only yoga I can do (but still have to rest and skip certain poses) is yin yoga, the slowest one i found.

I also found improvements recently with biking. I stick to paved park trails with the least slope. I stop when I'm tired and rest in the shade for a few mins and go biking in the morning when it's not too hot yet. I keep to the park to avoid having to stop a raptly in the middle of traffic and cause accidents. I also noticed I can't wear a helmet without having my head overheated which usually results in headaches and general malaise. If I get there, I have to stop right away and rest for longer. So far I have to stick to weekends, too, as before/after work there's no time nor energy for it.

I only recently started taking folic acid again (after a hyatus of some 4-5 months) and also added iron, as my ferritin decided to drop to the lower limit of the norm. Historically it has been high. And my last CBC showed my hemoglobin increased from 101 to 110 yay!

I also noticed that stress at work has a huge influence on feeling dizzy, weak and just plain exhausted. None of these (or other symptoms I've been experiencing lately) have been happening as often or as bad when I wasn't working. So now I have to balance out my work ethic that says I have to work hard and not be a burden on the office and my awesome boss who encourages me to take on less work and rest more.

Another thing that has a negative impact on my beta Thal symptoms is not having a window I can open in my office. If I want fresh air I have to walk down then up again 2 floors of stairs and breathe the rather polluted and otherwise smelly air of the area I work in.

However, my main source of support is staying positive and smiling through it.

So many smiles for all of my fellows thals and pals and much gratitude for all your helpful posts and research!

Offline CatherineM

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20:13 AM »
SFTYGAL

How old is daughter?  Faints are quiet common in teenager girls.  What is she doing when she faints?
Does she ever faint while exercising?  If so please get this check out as could be quite serious?

My daughter fainted while exercising and had to have hearts which were all clear.  Her faints are caused by low blood pressure with sudden drops in the blood pressure.  This is in part caused by her anemia.

Regards
Catherine

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »
I use to get dizzy a lot. I was on and off. Now I tend to get car sick more often than I use to. Smells can also trigger me to get dizzy and feel sick. Just about everytime I work out I get light headed and sometimes black out if I don't sit down fast enough. It usually happens in the first 10 minutes and I'm not tired. My heart rate is up and then I get dizzy and feel like I will throw up... Then I sit down and everything goes black as I hear my heart rate go from really fast to (stopping) then speeds back up and I can usually see clearly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk