The use of ports

• 8 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
The use of ports
« on: December 15, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
My son doesn't have a port, and our doctor from the very beginning has discouraged us from having one.  Personally, I am  glad that we didn't get one. Our doctor advised us that it is best for us to trust that our child can handle a poke once in a while rather than being put under general anesthesia and have his body alter - not to mention the possible complications of a port.  

We have trusted lil A's ability to handle the poke and he has done very well.  I know that this is not the case for all children, some children have a very hard time with IV pokes.  

Some doctors push families to use ports - As I have said I am strongly against them - and that is how I advise other parents. I would like for other patients and families to share their opinions about ports so that we can provide more complete information.  

Thanks for sharing,

Sharmin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:56:44 PM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

Offline Lena

Re: The use of ports
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »

As you all know, I am an old thal patient but never, not once in my life, have used a port.
Why do such a thing and make yourself suffer? It would only be justified, if it were the one and only solution - but as I have understood doctors propose it in any case.
No, if you are in a position to choose, why do that?

Lena

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:19:43 AM »
Thanks Lena, it helps to hear from an older and more experienced thal.  We have only 12 years of experience and overall we find that our son does not mind the transfusion process at all.  He is very interested in getting his IV, he is very athletic and he loves to swim.  I don't want a port to get in the way of all this.  I think its completely unnecessary. 

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Lena

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:20:08 AM »
Glad to have helped, Sharmin.

The way I am looking at it, your son is a healthy thal which means his overall condition is good inspite of thal. Proceed the way you have done  these 12 years and everyting will be fine.

Lena

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:40:04 AM »
I sure agree with Lena,Sharmin....
You have done a great job raising Lil A and I think you set a good example for all the parents.....
I may be repeating myself, but hats off to you dear and I salute you for being such a good parent!
Lil A sure is a lucky boy!

And Lena, thank you for being at this site...your words really help us all a lot....!

Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Lena

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:39:14 AM »
Being a thal for all my life, why not get something useful out of it?     :rotfl :rotfl

Thanks for your kind words, Madhavi. :hugfriend :hugfriend

Lena

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:39:14 AM »
...Lena, only someone like you could come up with this amazing perspective of being thal!
I want to travel to all the places that you all are and meet you all lovely people....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of love this festive season and always,
Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline baal

• to be or not to be
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »
what i can tell u abouth ports is...
they save my live before 12 years.
myne and some of my friends to.
in a time where i start to become tired of
pocking every nigth for desferal and the ferritin
goes high to 16.000
the porth saved my live.

Offline Lena

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »

As long as it was your only solution...you did well, Pano.

Lena

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk